Glyn-Cuthbert Family?

I have finally traced my family routes. My great-grandfather was named William John Glyn-Cuthbert from Sheffield who went to South Africa to fight in Boer war and never left. Besides his death certificate i cannot find a single trace of my family surname. I would love to know when Glyn and Cuthbert become one double barrel surname. Anybody know any Glyn-Cuthberts ? Or how I could find records? He was born in 1865 

This is an interesting one. FamilySearch only brought back those records from SA; his marriage and his death. It didn't bring back any other records for his name including birth, marriage and census records.

I noticed he put his age as 45 on the marriage certificate when he got married in 1910. Considering the war started in 1899, he would already have been 34/35 when he left England. 

In my experience and my own branches of trees, for a man to be this age and not already be married is extremely rare. If you haven't considered it yet, and please don't be offended, it was far more common a thing 100+ years ago - there is a chance that he never wanted to return to England and because he already had a wife, gave himself a new name in SA and married again. I've at least one person who did something similar in my own indirect tree.

@the_bloke You legend! Thanks for your response. That is certainly an interesting theory. And judging on the research I've done and what I know about the males of the family - I certainly wouldn't put it past him to do that. My big question for you, is how the hell did you figure it out in your own family tree? Any suggestions on how I would find his original identity?  Any tips welcome Also @the_bloke can you give me a link for his marriage certificate, I couldn't find it 

@Jeffrey ShawThanks for your response. I have his death certificate, unfortunately the Glyn-Cuthbert name is no census that I have found. Also, as he died in South Africa - records of his lineage before SA are impossible for me to find

53 minutes ago, DanielGlyn said:

@the_bloke You legend! Thanks for your response. That is certainly an interesting theory. And judging on the research I've done and what I know about the males of the family - I certainly wouldn't put it past him to do that. My big question for you, is how the hell did you figure it out in your own family tree? Any suggestions on how I would find his original identity?  Any tips welcome Also @the_bloke can you give me a link for his marriage certificate, I couldn't find it 

You'll need a free account on Family Search, and the link should be this: 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPHZ-VQZ4

His death record is here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPTF-4D4T

I've noticed on the scanned copy of the death certificate there are no parents listed either.  Depending on what data is shared on other family tree sites, you might find it elsewhere too.

In my own indirect tree I only knew someone was a bigamist because he returned to England with his new wife after ten years in India in the late 1880s and got arrested and charged for it and it was reported in an archived newspaper; I'd be none the wiser otherwise.

13 hours ago, ArhLass said:

My great grandmother was a Glyn (Eliza), her father was Barnet Glyn they were of Irish descent, lived around Bailey Lane and the Croft’s in Sheffield late 1800’s early 1900’s

Hi @ArhLass, thank you so much for your message. Was her full name Eliza Wardlaw Creighton Crane Glyn by any chance?