The Strawbs, Autograph Signing Session At Cann's Music

General question: Does anyone here recall when The Strawbs did an autograph signing session at Cann's music shop on Chapel Walk?  It was in '73, the night after they'd played the City Hall. There were hundreds blocking the narrow alley as the band were flying high in the UK charts after the success of 'Lay Down' and 'Part Of The Union'. I remember Cann's staff having to come out and try to stop people leaning en masse against their windows as the glass was buckling. Could have been quite nasty, that.

Band arrived and we all filed in, noisily but politely, and filed down a line of tables where the band sat and signed our album covers etc.

Decades before mobile phone cameras so I never had any photographic proof of the afternoon. Someone would have taken some, no doubt. Cann's themselves I guess, but I've never seen any. 

Edited by wearysmith

5 hours ago, wearysmith said:

General question: Does anyone here recall when The Strawbs did an autograph signing session at Cann's music shop on Chapel Walk?  It was in '73, the night after they'd played the City Hall. There were hundreds blocking the narrow alley as the band were flying high in the UK charts after the success of 'Lay Down' and 'Part Of The Union'. I remember Cann's staff having to come out and try to stop people leaning en masse against their windows as the glass was buckling. Could have been quite nasty, that.

Band arrived and we all filed in, noisily but politely, and filed down a line of tables where the band sat and signed our album covers etc.

Decades before mobile phone cameras so I never had any photographic proof of the afternoon. Someone would have taken some, no doubt. Cann's themselves I guess, but I've never seen any. 

Well how spooky is this! I was only talking to my mate about this a couple of hours ago! I was there and got their autographs, I was 14 at the time and went on to work for a record company supplying the same shop. we were talking about Adam Wakeman this afternoon and his 'Jazz Sabbath' spoof, and of course the connection with his dad and the Strawbs. Still love 'Lay down', timeless.

14 hours ago, mike-s said:

Well how spooky is this! I was only talking to my mate about this a couple of hours ago! I was there and got their autographs, I was 14 at the time and went on to work for a record company supplying the same shop. we were talking about Adam Wakeman this afternoon and his 'Jazz Sabbath' spoof, and of course the connection with his dad and the Strawbs. Still love 'Lay down', timeless.

Oh God - I'm a lifetime Strawbs addict. Fortunately I'm not a Strawbs bore as all my lifelong friends are supporters of the act too, thankfully! No bugger else listens to us though....

'Course, the tours and shows are becoming far less frequent now. Hardly surprising as most of the band must be in their late 60s/early 70s.

But we still buy every new release unheard. We keep the faith. 😀

Saw Oliver Wakeman a few years back in Maltby of all places. He was touring with Gordon Giltrap, promoting an album called Ravens and Lullabies. Threw plenty of jokes about his dad into the show. Excellent night.

5 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Oh God - I'm a lifetime Strawbs addict. Fortunately I'm not a Strawbs bore as all my lifelong friends are supporters of the act too, thankfully! No bugger else listens to us though....

'Course, the tours and shows are becoming far less frequent now. Hardly surprising as most of the band must be in their late 60s/early 70s.

But we still buy every new release unheard. We keep the faith. 😀

Saw Oliver Wakeman a few years back in Maltby of all places. He was touring with Gordon Giltrap, promoting an album called Ravens and Lullabies. Threw plenty of jokes about his dad into the show. Excellent night.

We must be a similar age, Adam Wakeman will be touring with Ozzy when  (if!) all gets back to normal, and if Ozzy lasts that long!! I've not seen the Strawbs for years, used to see Lindisfarne regularly, similar vein. Gordon is another one of my favourites, met him on numerous occasions, lovely guy. He has a really good website giltrap.co.uk you probably know about it. it's rubbish at the moment with all the venues closed, big live music fan, sounds like you are too! Mike.

14 hours ago, mike-s said:

We must be a similar age, Adam Wakeman will be touring with Ozzy when  (if!) all gets back to normal, and if Ozzy lasts that long!! I've not seen the Strawbs for years, used to see Lindisfarne regularly, similar vein. Gordon is another one of my favourites, met him on numerous occasions, lovely guy. He has a really good website giltrap.co.uk you probably know about it. it's rubbish at the moment with all the venues closed, big live music fan, sounds like you are too! Mike.

Indeed so Mike. First ever gig/show/concert was to see The Singing Nolans at Crookes Workingmen's Club. The act back then, as you'll probably remember, consisted of mom & dad, a couple of brothers and the girls themselves. I know.....it's not very rock and roll, is it? About as far from cool as you're ever going to get. I mean.....I could lie and say something like 'Oh yeah, I saw Hendrix y'know.....' but what's the point? 😀.

I grew up on Mulehouse Road so I got to see a lot of acts there (when my mom/dad/granddad took me. I was only a nipper).

Absolute faves at the time was going to see The Spinners at the City Hall. They visited regularly in the 60s. It was always a big event for all of the family.

But yes, we're lucky.  As the t-shirt says; We may be old but we got to see all the GREAT bands. In my teens there were so many.  I - and you too maybe - were VERY fortunate that the City Hall was a major player on the gig circuit. Off the top, my buddies and I (and various girlfriends) caught Wizzard, Mott the Hoople, Sparks, Cockney Rebel, Wakeman, Leo Sayer, Be Bop Deluxe, Slade, Dr Hook & the Medicine Show, Mud, Sweet, The Drifters, Eno & the Winkies, Lou Reed, Supertramp, Chris de Burgh (when he was good 😀), AC/DC, Linda Lewis, Priest, Suzi Quatro, the Tom Robinson Band, Cozy Powell, Quo, Whitesnake,  Gary Glitter, T.Rex, Bowie, Gallagher & Lyle, David Essex, Ian Dury, the Stranglers, the Doctors Of Madness, Pat Travers, Rush, Wishbone Ash, Queen, Elvis Costello, Thin Lizzy, Nick Lowe...…..the list goes on and on. So many more that I only remember I've seen them when I glance through the album shelves or a band comes up on TOTP2 or something. They were marvellous days to be a music fan.  In my early 20s I roadied for Def Leppard for about 3 years so I got to see a lot more brilliant bands through them too.

Don't know what my life would have been like if I hadn't had an early appreciation of seeing entertainers live. I thank my late parents every day!

2 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Indeed so Mike. First ever gig/show/concert was to see The Singing Nolans at Crookes Workingmen's Club. The act back then, as you'll probably remember, consisted of mom & dad, a couple of brothers and the girls themselves. I know.....it's not very rock and roll, is it? About as far from cool as you're ever going to get. I mean.....I could lie and say something like 'Oh yeah, I saw Hendrix y'know.....' but what's the point? 😀.

I grew up on Mulehouse Road so I got to see a lot of acts there (when my mom/dad/granddad took me. I was only a nipper).

Absolute faves at the time was going to see The Spinners at the City Hall. They visited regularly in the 60s. It was always a big event for all of the family.

But yes, we're lucky.  As the t-shirt says; We may be old but we got to see all the GREAT bands. In my teens there were so many.  I - and you too maybe - were VERY fortunate that the City Hall was a major player on the gig circuit. Off the top, my buddies and I (and various girlfriends) caught Wizzard, Mott the Hoople, Sparks, Cockney Rebel, Wakeman, Leo Sayer, Be Bop Deluxe, Slade, Dr Hook & the Medicine Show, Mud, Sweet, The Drifters, Eno & the Winkies, Lou Reed, Supertramp, Chris de Burgh (when he was good 😀), AC/DC, Linda Lewis, Priest, Suzi Quatro, the Tom Robinson Band, Cozy Powell, Quo, Whitesnake,  Gary Glitter, T.Rex, Bowie, Gallagher & Lyle, David Essex, Ian Dury, the Stranglers, the Doctors Of Madness, Pat Travers, Rush, Wishbone Ash, Queen, Elvis Costello, Thin Lizzy, Nick Lowe...…..the list goes on and on. So many more that I only remember I've seen them when I glance through the album shelves or a band comes up on TOTP2 or something. They were marvellous days to be a music fan.  In my early 20s I roadied for Def Leppard for about 3 years so I got to see a lot more brilliant bands through them too.

Don't know what my life would have been like if I hadn't had an early appreciation of seeing entertainers live. I thank my late parents every day!

Hello Wearysmith.

We must have tripped over each other at some point as we were both at so many of the same concerts (I was the handsome one with long hair wearing a leather jacket  and skin tight jeans with 3" turn ups)

Wizzard, Mott the Hoople, Leo Sayer (in his Clown suit) as support for ?, Eno and the Winkies, Lou Reed, Quo, Garry Glitter, Trex, Rush,etc, etc.

I was there at the 73 concert  the Strawbs did but sorry I didn't think they were at their best (personal opinion).

Few more for your list, the mighty Groundhogs, Genesis (Gabriel). Sabbath, Amazing String Band, Alex Harvey etc etc.

You've two of my fav concerts in there.

Mott the Hoople.

Eno and the Winkies (how many times did Eno disappear and reappear wearing something different?)

I was always more into Rock n Roll (and still am come to that) and heavy stuff but couldn't believe how note for note perfect 

Roxy music were the first time I saw them. I would never have gone to see them but we didn't pay (another story) and class myself as being  lucky enough to have seen them with both Eno in the band and afterwards. 

Best concerts ever has to go to those by the late great Alex Harvey,  Sensational - not half.

While im reminiscing i'm just off t' Albert for a bit of Underage Drinking, Enjoy.

Have to hurry up though Motorbikes tickingover in't backyard of the Barleycorn.

Rocker.

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong word used

As Rockers rule says, we were probably at a lot of those concerts as well. possibly even shouted WALLY to each other!! I don't get over to Sheff much these days, live out in the wilds but try to get to the Dronny sports club as often as poss to see John Reilly and the gang and also the Greystones if it's something I fancy. Roll on getting back to normal.

8 hours ago, wearysmith said:

In my early 20s I roadied for Def Leppard for about 3 years so I got to see a lot more brilliant bands through them too.

Three things here.

I.  I might have been to your house if you had the CO-OP deliver your milk on Mulehous  back in the 70's early 80's - LOL. 

Didn't Joe Cocker's mum live off Mulehouse somewhere?

2.  I'm sure Def Leppard not only practiced at the 'South Sea' on Spooner Rd but we certainly saw them playing there in their early days.

probably before your time but I'm almost certain a good friend of mine's (Kenny Pepper) son used to roadie for them in their very early days.

3. We've recently been watching 'the Village' about those working behind the scenes at Portmeirion in Wales.

We received a phone call from one of our Daughters who'd been watching the same thing thanking us for taking her there when she was young. perhaps after all this is over we can take the Grandkids.

As parent's the little Thank you's are conformation we got something right. 

I do remember Part of a roof coming off one of the big building on Fargate in high winds around 73 ish (?) and every body being channeled down Chapel walk - that was fun.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

16 hours ago, mike-s said:

As Rockers rule says, we were probably at a lot of those concerts as well. possibly even shouted WALLY to each other!! I don't get over to Sheff much these days, live out in the wilds but try to get to the Dronny sports club as often as poss to see John Reilly and the gang and also the Greystones if it's something I fancy. Roll on getting back to normal.

Every local of our generation "Wally!!"'d at some point. I had girlfriends who "Wally!!"'d. Badge of honour, to Wally in the fading light. Wonder if he ever turned up?

Talking of Dronfield, there's a bloke out at Dronfield Civic Hall who is really trying to get the ball rolling with 'proper' live events. Then all this crap happened. Me & a bud have been over there to see a couple of fine acts; Wildwood Kin and Jenn Bostic. A lot of the time it's church events or am-dram stuff, but fair play to him for trying to get more cutting edge (real) artists in. 

14 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Three things here.

I.  I might have been to your house if you had the CO-OP deliver your milk on Mulehous  back in the 70's early 80's - LOL. 

Didn't Joe Cocker's mum live off Mulehouse somewhere?

2.  I'm sure Def Leppard not only practiced at the 'South Sea' on Spooner Rd but we certainly saw them playing there in their early days.

probably before your time but I'm almost certain a good friend of mine's (Kenny Pepper) son used to roadie for them in their very early days.

3. We've recently been watching 'the Village' about those working behind the scenes at Portmeirion in Wales.

We received a phone call from one of our Daughters who'd been watching the same thing thanking us for taking her there when she was young. perhaps after all this is over we can take the Grandkids.

As parent's the little Thank you's are conformation we got something right. 

I do remember Part of a roof coming off one of the big building on Fargate in high winds around 73 ish (?) and every body being channeled down Chapel walk - that was fun.

Think I may have had a post (reply to you) deleted. Can't imagine why. Nothing controversial in it as far as I can recall.  But yes, thanks for the milk and I DID know Trev Pepper (but he wasn't a Lepps roadie. Just unloaded the van at a couple of local gigs).