Fostering an animal.

Janus

I was reading an article explaining that dogs can be fostered. I didn't know about this, so had never given it any thought. 

Below in bold tx is the piece I read:

Foster an animal
Several animal welfare charities, including the RSPCA, allow families to foster animals for a short time. This is a great option if you can’t commit to buying or adopting a pet in the long term but you are able to offer temporary accommodation.

Looking after animals is known to relieve stress, but fostering an animal is beneficial in other ways too. It supports local animal shelters and contributes to the rehabilitation of rescued animals, so they can be rehomed more easily.

I'm interested in finding out a bit more about how it works. If anyone knowledgeable on the subject can advise, that would be appreciated.

• nikki-red changed the title to Fostering an animal.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Moonbird, and thank you for asking. I did try, but at the time I phoned the RSPCA I just got the answer machine message. I tried a couple of times. 

I also asked my friend if she knew anything about the procedure, as I know she took in a  Staffy a while back-adopted not fostered. 

Maybe I am not trying hard enough, or possibly seeking info in the wrong places?

Am still interested.

Why not message Rainrescue then Janus? they need fosterers I am sure

Basically the animal stays with you and you care for it until it is ready for a new home, it may need medication, trips to a vet, help with confidence or none of these things, basically it  is giving the dog a home experience.

All medical treatment will be covered by the rescue, probably food will be provided though obviously this is something that you need to discuss with the rescue. Message Rain and see where it goes :) if you cant get in touch let me know and I will for you if you're really interested, it is such a worthwhile thing to do, but can be hard and sad when they go.

Edited by Moonbird