Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

On 26/08/2020 at 09:04, Planner1 said:

The point is that the “pavement” is part of the road. Walkers, cyclists motorists are all road users.

So rather than discuss the point I was making you're deciding to argue semantics?

I assume that's because you've no defence of the dangerous conditions SCC have created for vehicles using AG. 

39 minutes ago, Resident said:

I assume that's because you've no defence of the dangerous conditions SCC have created for vehicles using AG. 

That’s your view, but clearly SCC don’t agree with you, or they would have acted.

Have you made your points to them?

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

That’s your view, but clearly SCC don’t agree with you, or they would have acted.

Have you made your points to them?

Yet another none answer. 🙄

To answer yours, yes as have, to my knowledge many other residents of Sheffield, the bus companies & taxi drivers. 

SCC have done their usual fingers in their ears screaming lalalalalala given that there's been zero response 

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Yet another none answer. 🙄

To answer yours, yes as have, to my knowledge many other residents of Sheffield, the bus companies & taxi drivers. 

SCC have done their usual fingers in their ears screaming lalalalalala given that there's been zero response 

Is every response that doesn’t agree with you a “non” response?

Personally, I’ve seen no issues there, but I don’t go there often. Other than you, I haven’t seen anyone raising issues about it either, so what do you expect me to say?

SCC are the highway authority, it’s their responsibility and you’ve made your points to them. Put in an official complaint if you are dissatisfied with how they’ve responded. What else is there to say?

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

So we'd be better off with a big scrum of cars, lorries, bikes, pedestrians (chuck in horses if you like) etc like you see in India?

The alternative to providing pedestrian refuges and cycle lanes etc isn't "a big scrum", there's a middle ground. But that would involve motorists sharing the road space with other equally legitimate users without getting all upset about having to slow down momentarily, or maybe having to walk a bit to finish their journey.

7 hours ago, Resident said:

So rather than discuss the point I was making you're deciding to argue semantics?

It's only dangerous because motorists lack patience. If a motorist is unable to decide that the way is not clear to proceed, and should wait until it is clear to do so, then they should hand in their licence.

Edited by Bargepole23

• 1 month later...

Well walking up The Moor & then turning up to John Lewis yesterday, it's clear that it's going to be a long time, (if ever again), before public transport or any other vehicles will travel down Pinstone St towards The Moor / Furnival Gate.  The whole of the outward bound carriage way has now been re-tarmaced, road markings have been repainted to show a dual carriage way for both cyclists & pedestrians & planters with flowers separate this carriage way from the now single inbound cartridge way which vehicles can still use to access John Lewis & Barkers Pool. 

And yes, while walking up what did we see next to this cycle lane that's a good 10ft in width?  A couple of cyclists in their 40's, totally ignoring it & gingerly trying to weave their way between the pedestrians on Pinstone St's pavement. 

On 11/10/2020 at 14:57, Baron99 said:

Well walking up The Moor & then turning up to John Lewis yesterday, it's clear that it's going to be a long time, (if ever again), before public transport or any other vehicles will travel down Pinstone St towards The Moor / Furnival Gate.  The whole of the outward bound carriage way has now been re-tarmaced, road markings have been repainted to show a dual carriage way for both cyclists & pedestrians & planters with flowers separate this carriage way from the now single inbound cartridge way which vehicles can still use to access John Lewis & Barkers Pool. 

And yes, while walking up what did we see next to this cycle lane that's a good 10ft in width?  A couple of cyclists in their 40's, totally ignoring it & gingerly trying to weave their way between the pedestrians on Pinstone St's pavement. 

Italic - It will never reopen as a road, the university & SCC have been trying to find reasons to close it for years. 

Bold - Absolutely no surprise. Until authorities start enforcement and fine people like them then they will continue. 

On Sunday I cycled 

Furnival Street > Exchange Place > Broad Street  West > Shude Hill> Pond Street>Paternoster Road>Brown Street>Sydney Street>Sylvester Street.

It was a mixture of cycle paths and quiet roads. An absolute pleasure to traverse the city centre with such ease. Its good to see that SCC are getting something right.