Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

Guest makapaka
30 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"...there’s no real reason to use that pavement unless you’re going to those shops." really does show how lack of awareness  causes problems.

Are you not aware of the people  walking from Ranmoor, Crosspool, Crookes, Broomhill and further afield, who are walking to from the the schools, the university, the hospitals and the businesses in the city? 

Are you  not  aware of the natives going to and fro about their businesses?

Are you not aware of the 70 car parking spaces 50m away?

Are you not aware that there are only 8 spaces available to most of us?

Are you not aware of the very busy pharmacy?

Are you not aware of the other businesses in the area?

The same lack of awareness applies on the others side of the road to where access is blocked to the pharmacy, cash machine, post office and peoples homes and business at the same time causing congestion, noise and pollution on the roads.

What more inconsiderate action can their be than to park on a pavement directly outside a pharmacy-on double yellows.

I don’t see why questioning the removal of car parking spaces when we’re being advised to

stay apart is the same as parking on double yellow lines in a different area entirely.

i don’t doubt people walk past without using the shops but given most of the places you mentioned they would walking to are closed I wouldn’t imagine there’s many at the moment.

the 70 car parking spaces is the excel car park I presume where pedestrian egress is pretty restricted and is quite expensive from memory.

the other business in the area are in different streets.

as I said I’m not fundamentally against the idea of widening pavements where we can - even at the expense of parking - but Broomhill is a nightmare to park at best of times - as highlighted by your mention of double parking elsewhere.

Edited by makapaka

43 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I don’t see why questioning the removal of car parking spaces when we’re being advised to

stay apart is the same as parking on double yellow lines in a different area entirely.

i don’t doubt people walk past without using the shops but given most of the places you mentioned they would walking to are closed I wouldn’t imagine there’s many at the moment.

the 70 car parking spaces is the excel car park I presume where pedestrian egress is pretty restricted and is quite expensive from memory.

the other business in the area are in different streets.

as I said I’m not fundamentally against the idea of widening pavements where we can - even at the expense of parking - but Broomhill is a nightmare to park at best of times - as highlighted by your mention of double parking elsewhere.

People who park their cars are often known to go to more than one place . They,  like others may criss-cross that shopping area with its banks, post office, Boots, another pharmacy, 4 convenience stores, veg shop, beer off, take aways, offices, a  garage,  three car parks and thirteen  bus stops -I have not made a survey but these were open on Thursday as we walked to  town.

Add to that the hundreds walking through the area  to get to the  open bits of the half dozen schools,  four hospitals,  offices and work places stretching into town.

Don't you see that all these people including the majority percentage of sensible car drivers who have parked in a sensible are being slowed and frustrated by those who are not aware,  can't be bothered, find 60p too much or have a mentality that includes an entitlement to go wherever they want, whenever they want, at what speed they want and to be able  plonk there car outside their destination.

If only this tiny number of car drivers were aware of the current health issue and government instructions, their surroundings and their impact on others we wouldn't need to have so much legislation telling us how to drive how to cross, where to park  etc.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

People who park their cars are often known to go to more than one place . They,  like others may criss-cross that shopping area with its banks, post office, Boots, another pharmacy, 4 convenience stores, veg shop, beer off, take aways, offices, a  garage,  three car parks and thirteen  bus stops -I have not made a survey but these were open on Thursday as we walked to  town.

Add to that the hundreds walking through the area  to get to the  open bits of the half dozen schools,  four hospitals,  offices and work places stretching into town.

Don't you see that all these people including the majority percentage of sensible car drivers who have parked in a sensible are being slowed and frustrated by those who are not aware,  can't be bothered, find 60p too much or have a mentality that includes an entitlement to go wherever they want, whenever they want, at what speed they want and to be able  plonk there car outside their destination.

If only this tiny number of car drivers were aware of the current health issue and government instructions, their surroundings and their impact on others we wouldn't need to have so much legislation telling us how to drive how to cross, where to park  etc.

Sorry I don’t get you. How are car drivers causing a problem. If I drive somewhere and come into contact with nobody - buy a bag of shopping - and then drive home coming in contact with nobody - why is that better than me walking amongst people there and back?

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Sorry I don’t get you. How are car drivers causing a problem. If I drive somewhere and come into contact with nobody - buy a bag of shopping - and then drive home coming in contact with nobody - why is that better than me walking amongst people there and back?

It's not just about you, it's about everybody. It's better that 10 people can socially distance than one person can and the rest have to cram together.

Guest makapaka
9 minutes ago, altus said:

It's not just about you, it's about everybody. It's better that 10 people can socially distance than one person can and the rest have to cram together.

I know that.

Im talking about this specific change in Broomhill.

im just not convinced that particular area is going to be benefitted by everyone having to walk up towards that particular row of shops. 

I get people might need to walk in that direction but there’s the other side of the road.

i just think now your gonna have a load of empty spaces where people could previously quickly get in and out with minimum contact to much more people walking in that area.

i go there regularly and it seems pretty ok as it is to me.

Edited by makapaka

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I know that.

Im talking about this specific change in Broomhill.

im just not convinced that particular area is going to be benefitted by everyone having to walk up towards that particular row of shops. 

I get people might need to walk in that direction but there’s the other side of the road.

i just think now your gonna have a load of empty spaces where people could previously quickly get in and out with minimum contact to much more people walking in that area.

i go there regularly and it seems pretty ok as it is to me.

"The same lack of awareness applies on the others side of the road to where access is blocked to the pharmacy, cash machine, post office and peoples homes and business at the same time causing congestion, noise and pollution on the roads."

(my bolds)

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"The same lack of awareness applies on the others side of the road to where access is blocked to the pharmacy, cash machine, post office and peoples homes and business at the same time causing congestion, noise and pollution on the roads."

(my bolds)

Yes but that’s different because people shouldn’t park there. im not advocating people double parking on the other side of the road it should be stopped and enforced as it would any other time. 

there’s  no lack of awareness in people parking in designated parking spaces - the discussion is whether those designated spaces should be taken away.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Yes but that’s different because people shouldn’t park there. im not advocating people double parking on the other side of the road it should be stopped and enforced as it would any other time. 

there’s  no lack of awareness in people parking in designated parking spaces - the discussion is whether those designated spaces should be taken away.

Do these drivers need to be told that their parking is causing a problem by obstructing the footway to allow social distancing? 

Can they accept that most people want to social distance and that their parking is denying this.

Would  a simple sign saying so work?  No.

So the rest of need to pay to  manage their lack of awareness and consideration?

Just because their is a space it does not remove the responsibility  to consider others.

Ironically this same spot has been subject to permanent and temporary bay closures in the last few years with the associated lack of consideration for those working and walking.

Guest makapaka
48 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Do these drivers need to be told that their parking is causing a problem by obstructing the footway to allow social distancing? 

Can they accept that most people want to social distance and that their parking is denying this.

Would  a simple sign saying so work?  No.

So the rest of need to pay to  manage their lack of awareness and consideration?

Just because their is a space it does not remove the responsibility  to consider others.

Ironically this same spot has been subject to permanent and temporary bay closures in the last few years with the associated lack of consideration for those working and walking.

The parking doesn’t obstruct the foot way.

i agree the footway is narrow but people tend to just walk behind the cars as they have done for decades.

its not a lack of  awareness or consideration to park in designated parking places - theyre just parking places.

the discussion is if by removing those parking places does it make It more safe.

im not convinced in this instance it does.

this isn’t about someone acting selfishly. 

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

The parking doesn’t obstruct the foot way.

i agree the footway is narrow but people tend to just walk behind the cars as they have done for decades.

its not a lack of  awareness or consideration to park in designated parking places - theyre just parking places.

the discussion is if by removing those parking places does it make It more safe.

im not convinced in this instance it does.

this isn’t about someone acting selfishly. 

Are you seriously suggesting that walking in the road behind cars and vans which are about to reverse should be encouraged?

Are you aware  of the presence of hundreds of accompanied and unaccompanied children, people with prams and toddlers, pets or shopping trolley? Can you see them or the cyclist? Are they not in your "blind spot"?

These controlled and designated parking spaces where designed for the cars of the 70s not for the tractors more concerned about there rear end than the pedestrian in front who they obstruct by leaving their front ends over the footway with no awareness that they are obligeing people  to walk on the, behind them in their blind spot.

Everyone should be aware of social distancing and hopefully be aware of the needs of others.