George Floyd- Killed By Police

Message added by Vaati

As per the bottom of the page: POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED. Click 'Report post' or contact us for any content that may breach our terms of use. We will look into the report as soon as possible. We do not support the promotion violence or racist behaviours. Any posts considered in breach of this or other forum rules, will be removed and the poster will be suspended.

1 minute ago, Litotes said:

Not today, but why obliterate the past?

In previous days they put them up to celebrate the contribution that Bristol made to the UK - times have changed, attitudes have changed - it doesn't mean we should be ashamed of what our predecessor were celebrating. What if we removed all reference to the coal industry because they put children down mines and contributed so much to global warming? Should we obliterate all reference to the  the coal industry - of course not! We should make people aware of history and of what we can learn from it.

I’m quoting this for posterity- you don’t think the good people of Bristol should be ashamed of celebrating a slave trader.

Coal industry isn’t illegal is it? I’m staggered you’re equating it with slavery.

6 minutes ago, Litotes said:

So you are saying anything that 'glorifies' (and yet you don't define what glorifies and what doesn't - typical!) the past, a past which doesn't align with today's opinion should be removed????

How totalitarian!!!

So all the mines and mine workings which have contributed to global warming should be erased from the face of Yorkshire?

that is what you are saying... All the Steel City monuments to the hard working women of Sheffield that made munitions for the war  should be erased?

That is what you are advocating.

Not that we should celebrate these people for doing what they believed in, but now that beliefs have moved on, we should learn from them and not repeat our mistakes?

Or are you saying we should blackwash/whitewash our history so that all we see today aligns with today's woke/snowflake opinion?

What are you saying????????????????????????????

WHAT?

No I didn’t say take down everything that doesn’t align with today’s opinion. Not even close.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

I’m quoting this for posterity- you don’t think the good people of Bristol should be ashamed of celebrating a slave trader.

Coal industry isn’t illegal is it? I’m staggered you’re equating it with slavery.

Slavery wasn't illegal at that time - coal mining may well be illegal in the future - so in the future will you remove all reference to the cola industry in the UK.

Once again we come back to a totalitarianism state akin to the Nazis...

So bang goes Chatsworth - pull it down as the Duke of Devonshire had servants...

Down with Hadrian's wall (and much of York) - the Romans enslaved the local population...

As for Whitby Abbey - that should be amongst the first to go, and Sheffield Cathedral because of their link to all the atrocities of the church etc etc etc

get real...

What a horror show this government are.  Home Secretary Priti Patel is upset and outraged at the toppling of a statue but she doesn’t give a damn for the thousands that are dead because of her government’s pathetic and ineffective response to the coronavirus crisis. 

22 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Slavery wasn't illegal at that time - coal mining may well be illegal in the future - so in the future will you remove all reference to the cola industry in the UK.

Once again we come back to a totalitarianism state akin to the Nazis...

So bang goes Chatsworth - pull it down as the Duke of Devonshire had servants...

Down with Hadrian's wall (and much of York) - the Romans enslaved the local population...

As for Whitby Abbey - that should be amongst the first to go, and Sheffield Cathedral because of their link to all the atrocities of the church etc etc etc

get real...

Nobody is suggesting pulling down any buildings. Saviles Hall would have been earmarked for demolition straight away.

• mort locked this topic
  • mort unlocked this topic
On 06/06/2020 at 00:57, Arnold_Lane said:

I'll expand on my own point for the benefit of Branny as it wasn't clear enough for my liking.

A common claim is, broadly, that black people are more likely to commit (some) crime and will therefore be more likely to die at the hands of police when taken into custody.  Simple enough.  But wrong.

A) If you hypothesize that blacks commit 50% of all crime in the US, for every 1000 crimes, 500 will be committed by black people. It follows, for every arrest you'd expect half to be of blacks.

B) Then hypothesize 1 in 1000 people die in police custody.  In 10,000 arrests you'd expect 10 deaths and 5 of them to be of blacks.  If it's more than 5 they are over-represented. 

Saying blacks commit more crime so it's not surprising more die in custody conflates the two things and completely misses the point.

Sorry, my reply was removed for some reason.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using that statistic... Here's more details and numbers:

- US population is about 328 millions - 76% (249 mil) is white population, 13% (42.6 mil) black

- total annual number of violent crimes (arrests for murders and robberies in 2017) was around 83000, of which 44% (around 33000) committed by white population, 54% (around 41000) by black. Here I'm making a simplification and don't consider recidivism, I assume one crime is committed by one person.

- number of white people shot to death by police in 2017 was 457, black 223 (data from Statista Research Department, 2020)

- if we assume that these shootings happens during of after arrest, this concludes the probability of white violent criminal shot by police - 1.38%, probability of black violent criminal shot by police 0.54%.

The people who pulled down the statue in Bristol should have been stopped one way or another, you cannot change history. Why didn’t black lives matter when the thousands of blacks were getting massacred by blacks in Africa, why didn’t black lives matter when young black men are getting murdered by other blacks in this country, yesterdays events in Bristol was just a day out for them and as for the statue it should be retrieved and put back on its pedestal, don’t let rioters win.

26 minutes ago, lazarus said:

The people who pulled down the statue in Bristol should have been stopped one way or another, you cannot change history. Why didn’t black lives matter when the thousands of blacks were getting massacred by blacks in Africa, why didn’t black lives matter when young black men are getting murdered by other blacks in this country, yesterdays events in Bristol was just a day out for them and as for the statue it should be retrieved and put back on its pedestal, don’t let rioters win.

They did - and there were plenty of people making a noise about it; the term black lives matter hadn't been coined yet then.

No you can't change history, but you choose how you look at it and who you choose to celebrate.