Distancing On Buses

Catmiss

I downloaded the first bus exemption card to my phone.When I got on the bus going into town I swiped my bus pass was not asked about why not wearing a face covering at all.On the return journey the driver asked where my face covering was so I just said I’m exempt and showed him the download on my phone and he said ok and let me board.

On 25/06/2020 at 19:52, RollingJ said:

Note the drivers have no power to enforce the rule, but they will ask for proof that anyone not wearing a face covering is exempt.

Of course they do. I'm a bit mystified by this if I'm honest. It's been mandatory to wear face coverings on public transport for a while now. No mask, don't let them on. If I try and get on without any money they won't let me will they?

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Of course they do. I'm a bit mystified by this if I'm honest. It's been mandatory to wear face coverings on public transport for a while now. No mask, don't let them on. If I try and get on without any money they won't let me will they?

They don't - if I have the time this afternoon, I'll dig out the link I saw on another, less argumentative, slightly better informed forum.

The 'attempting to travel without payment' regulations have been enshrined in long-standing law - again, I will have a look for the relevant legislation if more important things are finished in time.

17 hours ago, Jen17 said:

I can assure you that they are not

Yes I accept your point although pedantic . Any face covering. Drivers are NOT challenging and have been told not to even ask passengers if they have one,

Well pointed out. I have been asked by someone to help them do this although there is no medical reason to not wear one. Obviously I refused to help.

No they are not even asking people if they have one !

When someone writes something all in bold (since un-bolded by a mod) using the word ‘mandatory’ I think it’s helpful to point out that they are wrong.  You might think it’s pedantic.  I think there is quite a big difference between the two.

You are also wrong about there being no medical reasons not to wear a face covering.  

Edited by Arnold_Lane

13 hours ago, Gran54 said:

Forgot to say I wasn’t asked to provide any proof and only proof I had with me was my inhaler

Given the grief bus drivers (and other key workers) have experienced trying to implement social distancing I’m not surprised bus drivers aren’t keen to challenge passengers not wearing masks. 

20 hours ago, mafya said:

Yes there are medical reasons to not wear a face mask= https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/19/people-asthma-shouldnt-wear-face-masks-experts-warn-12723945/
🙄

I know there are medical reasons. What I was saying was that the person who wanted me to help them obtain an exemption did not have a medical reason.

Having said that, I have COPD but still manage to wear a mask for the journeys.

2 hours ago, catmiss said:

Given the grief bus drivers (and other key workers) have experienced trying to implement social distancing I’m not surprised bus drivers aren’t keen to challenge passengers not wearing masks. 

That and the total lack of support from management regarding enforcement, under the guise of safety. Drivers have been told they CANNOT enforce it & CANNOT refuse travel to those that refuse to wear. 

With this I'm not surprised drivers aren't bothering.