Commission To Investigate Inequality

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes.

But are the recommendations reasonable and proportionate to the issues?   

Do they reflect the needs of the wider society when having regard to the overall picture?

Are they economically or timing feasible? 

Does their application result in counter implications which may also need to be considered?  

Do they create conflict with the current bindings of laws and statutes?

It's not always that simple.

More lazy excuses for doing nothing. And then you get all upset and self righteous when people get shirty about it and stuff gets broken. Lame. I'm talking to you as if you were the Government - you spend so much time defending their awfulness and incompetence you've kind of become synonymous.

17 minutes ago, Halibut said:

More lazy excuses for doing nothing. And then you get all upset and self righteous when people get shirty about it and stuff gets broken. Lame. I'm talking to you as if you were the Government - you spend so much time defending their awfulness and incompetence you've kind of become synonymous.

That is not what I'm doing at all so get back in your box.

I'm trying to give you an example of the realities.   It is not always that simple. 

Laws are very complicated and there are lots of potential conflicts when recommendations get thrown out in a report.    

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I disagree.  I think it is very relevant.

If some people are choosing to use this thread for a bit of anti-tory bashing by accusing them of not doing enough to tackle inequality and racism then I think it's a very fair question to be asked as to who people think would do better.

People are welcome to apply criticism for the lack of action taken to tackle the issues but they need to be prepared to also put their neck on my line and say exactly who and how it should be improved.  

It’s irrelevant because you can only judge those who have the current power and authority whether you are talking about this subject,Coronavirus or the economy.

Any alternative is mainly speculation.

And it’s not necessarily Tory bashing.

Is Johnson’s cabinet rising to the occasion.

Personally I think not,but the more likely outcome is that he will be a casualty of Tory infighting long before there is a GE.

18 hours ago, Halibut said:

You say they are awful and incompetent only because you hate their methods, your view is political not practical, the government has done better than any other option we have right now and i think the inequality debate is small change compared to the Pandemic and the oncoming financial crisis. 

On 22/06/2020 at 10:56, casualbystander said:

You say they are awful and incompetent only because you hate their methods, your view is political not practical, the government has done better than any other option we have right now and i think the inequality debate is small change compared to the Pandemic and the oncoming financial crisis. 

Inequality is anything but 'small change.'

Bloody Revolution arises from inequality, and it is ignored at your peril. 

There is no doubt those at the bottom end of the scale seem to get the sticky end of every crisis going, the pandemic being no exception, but also no excuse.

They have had enough, and they are beginning to rail against it. They must be listened to for the good of all, or the divisions in society will reverberate until it eventually tears the country, indeed, the World, apart.  

On 22/06/2020 at 10:56, casualbystander said:

You say they are awful and incompetent only because you hate their methods, 

It's not about 'hating their methods' (where did that come from?) it's about the fact that they're massively incompetent.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Inequality is anything but 'small change.'

Bloody Revolution arises from inequality, and it is ignored at your peril. 

There is no doubt those at the bottom end of the scale seem to get the sticky end of every crisis going, the pandemic being no exception, but also no excuse.

They have had enough, and they are beginning to rail against it. They must be listened to for the good of all, or the divisions in society will reverberate until it eventually tears the country, indeed, the World, apart.  

Totally agree

+

And it will be those with least assets,access, voice and opportunities who will suffer most in a pandemic and in periods of economic crises.

On 24/06/2020 at 05:59, Halibut said:

It's not about 'hating their methods' (where did that come from?) it's about the fact that they're massively incompetent.

you wouldn't like anything this government did? even if they found a cure somewhere along the line you and your ilk would criticise, they have done a very good job so far in extreme circumstances for this totally overpopulated country where the majority of deaths are from close living communities care homes and hospitals.

1 hour ago, casualbystander said:

you wouldn't like anything this government did? even if they found a cure somewhere along the line you and your ilk would criticise, they have done a very good job so far in extreme circumstances for this totally overpopulated country where the majority of deaths are from close living communities care homes and hospitals.

That argument cuts both ways whichever party is in government and it is not a defence against the errors and misjudgments of the current incumbents.

They have not done ‘a very good job” since the outbreak in many respects which are well documented.

They have not done a very good job over the last ten years including housing,care services and the NHS.

We are not an overpopulated country,but there are areas which are densely populated with inadequate housing and services.

50,000 deaths is not a triumph and if Johnson were to be honest he would at least concede that some things could have been handled better.

Our combative politics doesn’t allow this.