Commission To Investigate Inequality

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

As you believe that Farage is representative of the public’s feelings across the country,I would respectfully suggest that you also venture outside of your bubble.

I inadvertently stepped outside my bubble, into another and suggested that black lives do matter and maybe we shouldn't have statues of slavers in this country. It didn't go down well at all, because they are bigots who daren't own their own bigotry. They are everywhere, from corners of the internet to board rooms, to literally the PM.

We've had the lammy report - 35 recommendations, nothing happened, race disparity report 2017, what happened? Nowt. McGregor Smith report 2017 - anything? Independent Windrush review, has anything be done with that?

On 16/06/2020 at 08:52, taxman said:

This "announcement" was two lines at the end of a Telegraph opinion piece on statues. 

Its just a sop to try to be seen to actually do something but in reality it's just kicking the can down the road again.

Various reports have already been commissioned and completed but presumably they contained stuff the government didn't like so they've just ignored them . Maybe with Johnson's chum heading this one it will reach a result that he approves of.

Exactly. 

As I've said many times, what the Tories promise, and what they deliver are two very different things.

But we only ever hear the promises and people assume they are done. It's Not so. They are just delaying tactics.

Promising a report sounds like they care. They don't.

Acting on the report they've commissioned is the bit that counts, and in this they are sadly lacking.

Post pandemic, poverty is going to rise alarmingly. We need a government that understands what that means for people, and is willing to help them. 

22 hours ago, Anna B said:

Exactly. 

As I've said many times, what the Tories promise, and what they deliver are two very different things.

But we only ever hear the promises and people assume they are done. It's Not so. They are just delaying tactics.

Promising a report sounds like they care. They don't.

Acting on the report they've commissioned is the bit that counts, and in this they are sadly lacking.

Post pandemic, poverty is going to rise alarmingly. We need a government that understands what that means for people, and is willing to help them. 

That wouldn’t be Labour by any chance?

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

Irrelevant to this thread 

I disagree.  I think it is very relevant.

If some people are choosing to use this thread for a bit of anti-tory bashing by accusing them of not doing enough to tackle inequality and racism then I think it's a very fair question to be asked as to who people think would do better.

People are welcome to apply criticism for the lack of action taken to tackle the issues but they need to be prepared to also put their neck on my line and say exactly who and how it should be improved.  

23 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Anyone who would enact the recommendations. 

Yes.

But are the recommendations reasonable and proportionate to the issues?   

Do they reflect the needs of the wider society when having regard to the overall picture?

Are they economically or timing feasible? 

Does their application result in counter implications which may also need to be considered?  

Do they create conflict with the current bindings of laws and statutes?

It's not always that simple.

Let's take an example in the world of business.  It is all very admirable and quite right to try to increase the number of BAME in high profile positions but what if that results in recruiters and human resources positively discriminating applicants to get the numbers up.   Such actions are  illegal within the equality act 2010.    

Edited by ECCOnoob