Pubs Reopening This Weekend.

I really respect the landlords who have made the conscious decision that they will put the health of their staff and customers before profits and stay closed until they feel that the situation is safe enough for them to reopen.  I'm staying with my supermarket bought cans and bottles until then also.

Our sensationalist press campaign for pubs to reopen, then point to any excesses caused by over-indulgence.  Lets hear it for those who stay closed for now out of concern for their customers!

4 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I really respect the landlords who have made the conscious decision that they will put the health of their staff and customers before profits and stay closed until they feel that the situation is safe enough for them to reopen.  I'm staying with my supermarket bought cans and bottles until then also.

Our sensationalist press campaign for pubs to reopen, then point to any excesses caused by over-indulgence.  Lets hear it for those who stay closed for now out of concern for their customers!

....all well and good until their staff don't have any job to go back to and their customers don't have a pub to sit in anymore because it's gone bust.

It's not quite that simple and at some point something has to give.

It reminds me of some opinionated caller I heard on the radio earlier today whom was angry that lock down had been lifted and suggested in his 'informed' view that the government should have waited at least a year before relaxing the rules on the assumption that some vaccine might be available.   Just how many businesses did they think would survive after being shut for 12-18 months on lockdown.  Just how much government monies (..or let's face it our money) did they think continually could be spent subsidising people's wages for 12-18 months.  Madness. 

I passes our local pub around 7 PM last night and the outside was packed with drinkers showing no intention of standing or sitting safely (or otherwise ) apart . the scenes no different than any summer night in years past . Has the Governments recommendations gone to pot , will we see a further lock down due to this daft behaviour .

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

I passes our local pub around 7 PM last night and the outside was packed with drinkers showing no intention of standing or sitting safely (or otherwise ) apart . the scenes no different than any summer night in years past . Has the Governments recommendations gone to pot , will we see a further lock down due to this daft behaviour .

You can report incidences like this to the police and they have the power to ask some people to leave, or close the pub fully..

The rules say it's the pubs responsibility to make sure the customers are acting how they should, and are safe etc...

You would be very un popular in your area If you did, the landlord has a similar problem  he is probably looking at  if he will go bust , many pubs will go under this year .

Edited by Parkside

• 3 weeks later...

As those pubs that have reopened will have stock in, instead of pouring it away as they had to after the original lockdown, perhaps many of them will convert to selling their stock in plastic containers.  I'd be quite happy to walk to a local pub with my cash, and walk away a bit poorer but with a couple of plastic containers of fresh beer (hidden away of course in a handy Tesco's bag away from prying eyes!).