Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

The point about the ambulance is that it couldn't get into the lane because of temporary barriers. That will change when the cycle lane is made permanent and the temporary barriers are removed.

Something like this.

Rediweld-Greenwich-Wand-Orca-L.jpg

Or this maybe

171003_separador-zebra-plastico-reciclad

The ambulance argument is a red herring once a proper permanent solution has been installed. It is not worth repeating as a sensible argument against the cycle lane. 

39 minutes ago, Tony said:

The point about the ambulance is that it couldn't get into the lane because of temporary barriers. That will change when the cycle lane is made permanent and the temporary barriers are removed.

Something like this.

Rediweld-Greenwich-Wand-Orca-L.jpg

Or this maybe

171003_separador-zebra-plastico-reciclad

The ambulance argument is a red herring once a proper permanent solution has been installed. It is not worth repeating as a sensible argument against the cycle lane. 

No the best argument remains that it is an arterial road that cars use and cyclists don’t and never will in any numbers.

The second best argument is that the “boom “in cycling is very much the popularity of leisure cycling and will never be other than a minority option for commuters.

Plenty of cyclists out and about at weekends and evenings on a fine day heading out into the countryside.

Not so many heading out on their way to work or to do the weekly shopping,and certainly not if it’s raining.

The ambulance argument is a red herring,unless you are in it.

A broken down car in a single carriageway is just one of those things.

Being a lorry or a trades vehicle being needlessly delayed is just a minor inconvenience.

Most of the cycle lanes in Sheffield are just tokenism.Having put them in place they are not used or maintained,but they give a nod to some idealistic rubbish from the mandarins.

If cyclists are not competent or confident enough to use public roads then don’t use

them.I did manage this skill when I was 11 onwards ,not that I ever chose to head into town and preferably kept away from the bus and old tram routes.

The majority of cyclists still do but there are a fanatical few who wish to dis invent both the wheel and the IC engine.

Get real

34 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@TonyThe cycle lanes you have used as examples (not from a UK source, at least in the second image) are not wide enough for an ambulance - or any motor vehicle.

But Shalesmoor is. I am looking forward to seeing it made permanent if only to enjoy how creative people are in finding reasons that it could never ever work when it so obviously can. :) 

It would be refreshing if people could just be honest and say that they think they are so special that they deserve everything on a plate to avoid an extra three minutes listening to Jeremy Vine.

Edited by Tony

52 minutes ago, Tony said:

But Shalesmoor is. I am looking forward to seeing it made permanent if only to enjoy how creative people are in finding reasons that it could never ever work when it so obviously can. :) 

It would be refreshing if people could just be honest and say that they think they are so special that they deserve everything on a plate to avoid an extra three minutes listening to Jeremy Vine.

So, although it was not clear in your original post, you are suggesting those back/white markers are an option, which I would agree with.

The problem I see with the rest of your above comment is that this has been identified as a temporary measure, hence its' temporary appearance.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Don’t have to be very creative to see the blindingly obvious.

It seems to be a very few cyclists who are being creative in suggesting that this stretch of road is so important to them.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I think you're going to be disappointed. It's already ear-marked for removal in 'mid-September' 

13 hours ago, RollingJ said:

So, although it was not clear in your original post, you are suggesting those back/white markers are an option, which I would agree with.

The problem I see with the rest of your above comment is that this has been identified as a temporary measure, hence its' temporary appearance.

Not sure what reference you are using @RollingJ but wands and similar are most definitely used in permanent installations. Interestingly a few local authorities have used them in this new wave of "emergency active travel measures".

It would be a fair criticism to say that SCC / Amey used those cheap, nasty, in your face red and white barriers and made a rod for their own back when they could have done something better like they did in Leeds with this "temporary" cycle lane.

Safety for cyclists on one of the busiest roads in Leeds is to be enhanced with a pilot of temporary demarcation posts by Leeds City Council.

The council has been responding to calls to expand cycling provision in response to the current pandemic to enable social distancing and active travel.

74645-l.jpg