Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

I think that many people  outside of the political and civil service sphere are at times just mystified at some of the ideas that gain support,such as this one.

Many of these people have livelihoods that depend on their ability and responsibility and rightly try to question the bland responses to pertinent questions that they wish to raise.

It’s not a case of making a specific complaint.

Its having trust in the system to serve the public in the best ways that they can and not to indulge in such flights of fancy,which only serve to alienate them from the public.

I've been away for a few days. I see the mess that is the Shalesmoor cycle lane project is to be dismantled, no surprise there apart from that it took so long to see the hopelessness of it all, not to mention the cost. Yes we know, it was paid for by the government so that's all right then.

Whoever planned the scheme in the first place obviously has led a sheltered life as regards being out in the real world, knowing how few cyclists would be using the new system, and knowing the difficulties regular traffic would face getting from place to place with the least inconvenience and stress.

Would this ridiculous scheme have been voted through if Sheffield Council's  "Strong Leader" system had not been in place and all the councilors were allowed to vote? Sheffield is a good place, so why can't we have sensible people making sensible decisions?

3 minutes ago, Gligs said:

I've been away for a few days. I see the mess that is the Shalesmoor cycle lane project is to be dismantled, no surprise there apart from that it took so long to see the hopelessness of it all, not to mention the cost. Yes we know, it was paid for by the government so that's all right then.

Whoever planned the scheme in the first place obviously has led a sheltered life as regards being out in the real world, knowing how few cyclists would be using the new system, and knowing the difficulties regular traffic would face getting from place to place with the least inconvenience and stress.

Would this ridiculous scheme have been voted through if Sheffield Council's  "Strong Leader" system had not been in place and all the councilors were allowed to vote? Sheffield is a good place, so why can't we have sensible people making sensible decisions?

Here we go, yet another attempted thread hijack to push the idea of a “modern” committee system.

Care to point us to ant other major city where it is working? 

Would the makeup of a committee not reflect the political balance in the council, so the majority party would get a vote through if they wanted to?

Are you suggesting that the representatives that the people of Sheffield elect aren’t sensible?

Whichever system you get, it is run by politicians, who make decisions for political reasons.

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Here we go, yet another attempted thread hijack to push the idea of a “modern” committee system.

Care to point us to ant other major city where it is working? 

Would the makeup of a committee not reflect the political balance in the council, so the majority party would get a vote through if they wanted to?

Are you suggesting that the representatives that the people of Sheffield elect aren’t sensible?

Whichever system you get, it is run by politicians, who make decisions for political reasons.

I think that you have done your share of thread hi jacking.

Its about the logic and suitability of a hastily enacted scheme using public money.

You have defended the system that enabled it and passed responsibility to national and local politicians.

Asking sensible people to make sensible decisions is a reasonable view.

So strictly on the thread topic do you agree that it was a misguided waste of public money?

Regarding the committee system, the majority party would not always get a vote through as the majority of councilors are not sheep, they are elected representatives who are quite sensible,(unlike some, or at least one, in the planning department---See Shalesmoor Fiasco).

Guest busdriver1
37 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I think that you have done your share of thread hi jacking.

Its about the logic and suitability of a hastily enacted scheme using public money.

You have defended the system that enabled it and passed responsibility to national and local politicians.

Asking sensible people to make sensible decisions is a reasonable view.

So strictly on the thread topic do you agree that it was a misguided waste of public money?

That sounds a bit like them being thrown under the bus to Me. 

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

That sounds a bit like them being thrown under the bus to Me. 

How does a politician making their own decision equate to being thrown under a bus?

2 hours ago, Gligs said:

Regarding the committee system, the majority party would not always get a vote through as the majority of councilors are not sheep, they are elected representatives who are quite sensible,(unlike some, or at least one, in the planning department---See Shalesmoor Fiasco).

You don’t understand how political parties work do you? They have a whip system, just like the parliamentary party and anything important will get voted through by the majority party.

And you haven’t pointed to a major city where your committee system has been implemented. Where has it been implemented?

Edited by Planner1