Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

57 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

People on a leisure ride can choose to avoid that particular stretch, people who need to get to work cannot.

Not really. It is none of my or your business why somebody is travelling, they have an equal right to be there. If you travel to work along Shalesmoor on your bike you have just the same right to do it as I do in my 500hp car nipping to the shops. It just happens that you made a better decision than me and will arrive sooner. 

I hope we'll agree that my journey to the shop in the car is not more important than yours to work on the bike, and vice-versa.

I also hope we will agree that it is really important is that everyone can make their journey without being in fear of their life. 

To add, if we get this even half right, in 20 years these kids will think that cycling around town is normal. 

You'd need a heart of stone not to smile at the potential for a better city wrapped up in this simple thing that just happened. :)

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

To add, if we get this even half right, in 20 years these kids will think that cycling around town is normal. 

You'd need a heart of stone not to smile at the potential for a better city wrapped up in this simple thing that just happened. :)

Yep,terrific idea pleasure cycling at the side of a busy road ,and at exhaust level.

Take him to the park and be sensible.

Up to the age of 16 or so we went everywhere on our bikes.

Neither me or any of my mates carried on cycling to work,and precious few will do so in the future.

Enjoy your cycling but it’s not going to catch on for the vast majority.

Edited by RJRB

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not really. It is none of my or your business why somebody is travelling, they have an equal right to be there. If you travel to work along Shalesmoor on your bike you have just the same right to do it as I do in my 500hp car nipping to the shops. It just happens that you made a better decision than me and will arrive sooner. 

I hope we'll agree that my journey to the shop in the car is not more important than yours to work on the bike, and vice-versa.

I also hope we will agree that it is really important is that everyone can make their journey without being in fear of their life. 

It should be the concern of the planners and road traffic engineers as to the purpose of the road,and in this topic they are woefully lacking.

45 minutes ago, Tony said:

So they were the only 2 cyclists on the road then??  Great use of resources, was totally worth it then!!!

@RJRB the nature of things change. Shalesmoor is called that for a reason, it was a packhorse track along the river bottom. One day it might be pedestrianised, who knows! I happen to drive along Shalesmoor more than I cycle but I can't begrudge riders a safe space for the sake of a few minutes on my journey time. 

Can we at least agree that a motorist is not more important than a bike rider?

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Closing one lane of a main arterial road will not save the planet. Given the amount of standing traffic it could make it worse.

Exactly. When you consider how much pollution places such as China churn out into the atmosphere, making cycling "nice" in Sheffield for a tiny number of people will contribute towards saving the planet by the square root of chuff all. Enough of the woke virtue signalling, this scheme is wrong, not fit for purpose and is creating more congestion and thus pollution by it's mere existence. Overall it disbenefits both the community and the environment and should be removed immediately.

THEN

There should be an inquiry into which officers thought this was a good idea and they should be made to justify their actions. Along with the councillors who they managed to convince this was viable, when it clearly is no such thing.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

@RJRB the nature of things change. Shalesmoor is called that for a reason, it was a packhorse track along the river bottom. One day it might be pedestrianised, who knows! I happen to drive along Shalesmoor more than I cycle but I can't begrudge riders a safe space for the sake of a few minutes on my journey time. 

Can we at least agree that a motorist is not more important than a bike rider?

Each has its’place

Edited by RJRB