Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

28 minutes ago, Crissie said:

Range on fairly level ground is 50 or 60 miles, if I put a little pedalling effort in.  That's improved by about 10 miles from when I first got it as I've got a bit fitter, without really noticing :) - it'll probably get better yet.

The range comes down as you do more uphill riding, but will still let me have a good 30 mile run around the Peak District without getting short of breath, and still probably got 10 miles left in the battery.

Range is affected by many factors - battery size, rider's weight, hilly or level terrain, how much effort the rider puts in.

Or this.

I’m glad that you have discovered the joys of cycling and your choice of routes is much better than a busy arterial road.

Edited by RJRB

25 minutes ago, BoroB said:

And we wonder why a lot of cyclists seem to be against a number plate type  system and insurance.

Seems like cyclists don't want to be identifiable or accountable.

There’s no need for such a system. Nowhere else in the world has it, so why should we?

5 minutes ago, BoroB said:

You may think its unfair and unfounded, I think cyclists should be subject to the same rules as other road users who have to pass a test, be insured and have a number plate to identify them.

Do you also think pedestrians should have insurance and carry an identification plate?

You’re entitled to your opinion, but as far as I know there is nowhere in the world that requires this of cyclists. So are you right and everybody in the world is wrong?

15 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

There’s no need for such a system. Nowhere else in the world has it, so why should we?

Do you also think pedestrians should have insurance and carry an identification plate?

You’re entitled to your opinion, but as far as I know there is nowhere in the world that requires this of cyclists. So are you right and everybody in the world is wrong?

I don’t think that they should have plates or even a license.

Some could use a cycling proficiency badge.

Perhaps they should have Sat Nav if they think that this is the route to the city centre from north,south east or west

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

This guide might help you: https://www.tredz.co.uk/help-advice/start-your-cycling-journey/e-bike-hub/what-is-the-range-of-an-electric-bike

You don't look very hard then.

On a daily basis I see drivers who run red lights. You go through a set of signals that are changing to red, look in your rear-view mirror and see another  three cars behind you, who most certainly came through on red.

I also on a daily basis see drivers who drive and park part way or fully on the footway. You see plenty of examples of appalling parking where pedestrians have to go out onto the road to pass.

There are poor road users in all modes of travel.

You won't get any argument from me on this score, even as a motorist & somewhere on SF there's a thread where I've had a moan about inconsiderate parking on pavements.  However, the key word is 'parked'.   Pedestrians may have to go out into the road for a parked car & risk life & limb briefly taking to the road but invariably they also risk life & limb while walking in their rightful place on the pavement by having an inconsiderate, silent cyclist whizzing past while knowingly breaking the law. 

There are a number of arguments that adult cyclists should be registered & insured. Another should be, should adult cyclists be a least certified as capable of riding in traffic & have knowledge of the Highway Code before they're allowed out on the road?  That way they couldn't plead ignorance of the law. 

An adult cyclist who feels the need to have the security of the pedestrian pavement, shouldn't be on a bicycle in the first place. 

21 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Where did I mention pedestrians Planner1?

Pedestrians may cross roads but do not travel along them. That's why we have footpaths.

Make your mind up as your statement says  'Nowhere in the world has it' but then you say 'As far as you know'. Which is it?

Watch the BBC click program from last weekend with regards to the electric bikes that you are advocating people to use.

Given the speeds that these bikes  generate the program states that several countries in the EU require registration and insurance. 

I believe that the click program is still available on catchback.

Edited by BoroB

47 minutes ago, BoroB said:

And we wonder why a lot of cyclists seem to be against a number plate type  system and insurance.

Seems like cyclists don't want to be identifiable or accountable.

Number plates and insurance have never stopped motorists busting red lights. Let's not do that argument shall we - it's silly and you already lost . ;)

27 minutes ago, alchemist said:

So you reckon that by 2080 cycling in Sheffield will be normal and we should just accept chaos for 60 years because cyclists "might" start using the oversized cycle lanes??  Seems reasonable!!

If you're pushing for a timeline, I reckon that cycling will be normal by 2030. By 2040 you'll be enjoying a  bike ride to the pub instead of a ride in an ambulance to the hospital with a heart attack.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Same response as to others.

Cycling is good.

BUT this scheme is ill conceived and does nothing whatsoever to encourage cycling for the vast majority.

It is primarily a part of the route on and off the Parkway for vehicles.

It is not a suitable place to encourage leisure cycling or indeed a pleasant area to cycle.

The money has been wasted when it could have been used sensibly.

Just to  add I have had cycles since my Junior school days and enjoyed them on the roads in and around Sheffield.

Even at my fittest,public transport or a private vehicle was the choice for work for numerous reasons which should be obvious to anyone especially planners.

Whisper it but I might agree with a lot of what you wrote there. ;) All I will say is that these schemes need to be about more than instant impact. They need to be highly visible - even disruptive - to show that there are viable alternatives to the same old motor cars for journeys that can be done on a bike. Give it time, get it improved with the next round of cash, maybe absorb the wide footway, or make the lanes part time.  It was put together almost overnight with the best of intentions so let's think about how ways to make it work instead of just binning it because it took an extra three minutes to get home.

4 minutes ago, BoroB said:

Where did I mention pedestrians Planner1?

Pedestrians may cross roads but do not travel along them. That's why we have footpaths.

Make your mind up as your statement says  'Nowhere in the world has it' but then you say 'As far as you know'. Which is it?

Watch the BBC click program from last weekend with regards to the electric bikes that you are advocating people to use.

Given the speeds that these bikes  generate the program states that several countries in the EU require registration and insurance. 

I believe that the click program is still available on catchback.

You seem to be into draconian measures, so I wondered whether you felt that all vulnerable road users should be registered and regulated. Pedestrians don’t travel along roads only across them? Really? For your information, the footway is part of the same highway that cars use, so of course pedestrians go along roads.

The amount of assistance which an electric bike provides in this country is regulated ( max 250 watts output and only assist pedalling up to 15.5mph)  if that amount is exceeded, it’s essentially classed as a moped or electric motorcycle which needs to be registered and insured on the public highway. Other countries have differing requirements. 15.5mph isn’t exactly fast and most cyclists can go a lot faster than that on a conventional bike. 

Nitpick all you like. Clearly you can’t name anywhere that requires cycles to be registered and insured and I can’t find any mention of such a requirement anywhere either, so you are asking for the UK to introduce draconian measures that simply are not seen as necessary worldwide.

15 minutes ago, BoroB said:

The EU country registration and insurance thing, where applied, is only if the bikes go over a certain speed. We had a thread on electric cycles recently and similar rules apply in the UK.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Number plates and insurance have never stopped motorists busting red lights. Let's not do that argument shall we - it's silly and you already lost . ;)

If you're pushing for a timeline, I reckon that cycling will be normal by 2030. By 2040 you'll be enjoying a  bike ride to the pub instead of a ride in an ambulance to the hospital with a heart attack.  :thumbsup:

Whisper it but I might agree with a lot of what you wrote there. ;) All I will say is that these schemes need to be about more than instant impact. They need to be highly visible - even disruptive - to show that there are viable alternatives to the same old motor cars for journeys that can be done on a bike. Give it time, get it improved with the next round of cash, maybe absorb the wide footway, or make the lanes part time.  It was put together almost overnight with the best of intentions so let's think about how ways to make it work instead of just binning it because it took an extra three minutes to get home.

If you travel on the road then surely the same rules should be applicable to everyone.

Number plates and insurance may not  stop some  motorists busting red lights but number plates make them identifiable and the insurance will give recompense to any innocent parties affected by said actions. 

If you are a responsible motorist or cyclist then you should not have nothing to fear. 

20 minutes ago, BoroB said:

Electric bikes (pedelecs) don't require licencing or registration in any member states or the UK if they are less than 250 Watts, assistance is limited to 20 km/h (higher in some countries, 25 km/h in the UK), and the motor assists but doesn't replace pedalling. Regulation 168/2013.