Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

9 hours ago, RJRB said:

Similar “things “would no doubt include some good schemes and some like the one that is being heavily criticised on here.

Heavily criticised by you and a handful of others on here, hardly a groundswell of public opinion is it?

The government funding initiatives gave councils an opportunity to experiment and try things out that they might not otherwise have the opportunity to do. As with anything experimental, some work, others don’t. 

51 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Heavily criticised by you and a handful of others on here, hardly a groundswell of public opinion is it?

The government funding initiatives gave councils an opportunity to experiment and try things out that they might not otherwise have the opportunity to do. As with anything experimental, some work, others don’t. 

I cannot see any ringing endorsement on here or any media for it either.

A failed experiment which is all this thread is about.

The wider issue of safe cycling deserves more detailed thinking than this.

Edited by RJRB

15 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

And the fire engine wouldn't have been blocked if a truck wasn't parked in the cycle lane.

Odd, I'm sure I saw a longer version of that video where the truck moved into the cycle lane to let the fire engine get past.

Edited by alchresearch

23 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Odd, I'm sure I saw a longer version of that video where the truck moved into the cycle lane to let the fire engine get past.

Then it made a mistake didn't it, as if it had not moved into the cycle lane, the fire engine would have been able to do so, and then have been able to quickly whizz past the traffic. Even if on the longer video it made sense for the truck to enter the cycle lane, it should then have taken the left turn up the side road so the fire vehicle could have passed it.

One thing that is very clear from the video is that the cycle lane without blocks is wide enough for emergency vehicles- there is a great opportunity here; once it is established that such cycle lanes are for cycles only, and for use by emergency vehicles in emergencies, and under no circumstances to be used by other motor vehicles, then we have the fastest possible routes for emergency vehicles. 

Edited by onewheeldave

10 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Then it made a mistake didn't it, as if it had not moved into the cycle lane, the fire engine would have been able to do so, and then have been able to quickly whizz past the traffic. Even if on the longer video it made sense for the truck to enter the cycle lane, it should then have taken the left turn up the side road so the fire vehicle could have passed it.

One thing that is very clear from the video is that the cycle lane without blocks is wide enough for emergency vehicles- there is a great opportunity here; once it is established that such cycle lanes are for cycles only, and for use by emergency vehicles in emergencies, and under no circumstances to be used by other motor vehicles, then we have the fastest possible routes for emergency vehicles. 

Even then I bet you get some militant cyclists who refuse to move.

Some people give us a bad name.

3 minutes ago, soopah said:

Even then I bet you get some militant cyclists who refuse to move.

Some people give us a bad name.

I very much doubt that any cyclist would refuse to move to let an emergency vehicle pass!

Care to comment on the fact that cycle paths like these will be very good for emergency vehicles getting to the people that need help in the fastest possible time?

Edited by onewheeldave

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

I very much doubt that any cyclist would refuse to move to let an emergency vehicle pass!

Care to comment on the fact that cycle paths like these will be very good for emergency vehicles getting to the people that need help in the fastest possible time?

Not especially

4 hours ago, RJRB said:

I cannot see any ringing endorsement on here or any media for it either.

Measures like this are bound to be controversial, so I would not think anyone expected "ringing endorsement" 

4 hours ago, RJRB said:

I don't think that anyone outside the Council, including yourself, can state whether or not it's a success or failure as we don't know what the success criteria are.

It's certainly stimulated debate and raised the profile of cycling schemes.

41 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Measures like this are bound to be controversial, so I would not think anyone expected "ringing endorsement" 

I don't think that anyone outside the Council, including yourself, can state whether or not it's a success or failure as we don't know what the success criteria are.

It's certainly stimulated debate and raised the profile of cycling schemes.

Apart from the council, as they would be getting the cash from the government.

They got the cash so success to the council, at the detriment of the tax payer.