John Lewis

The original Coles featured on the Footage Detectives a few weeks ago (3/7/22 if you want to watch it on catchup).

70 year old Sheffield city centre was bustling in those days, cars (shock horror) and everything, didn't notice any stacked burger vans on Fargate.

Edited by fools

3 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

no social media , no key board  bullies . you had to look people in the eyseto slag em off .

Rationing still in force, a shortage of decent housing, outdoor toilets, aye everything was absolutely fine 70 years ago.  Come on, lets not pretend everything was fine then and isnt now.

7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Come on, lets not pretend everything was fine then and isnt now.

Nobody has, it's all in your head. The thread is about John Lewis, and the demise of department stores.

Edited by fools

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The alarming regularity of people bringing up "the good old days" on this forum suggests everyone thinks it was a fault free fantastic era of history. 

But yes, we digress.

Agreed. 

When I first came to Sheffield some parts of it were horrible. The old markets and the hole in road were really grotty and smelly. 

But some things were good - like the variety of shops.

On 15/08/2022 at 23:19, fools said:

The original Coles featured on the Footage Detectives a few weeks ago (3/7/22 if you want to watch it on catchup).

70 year old Sheffield city centre was bustling in those days, cars (shock horror) and everything, didn't notice any stacked burger vans on Fargate.

I saw the earlier episode where the presenters were asking for info as to where the film was shot?  I never clocked on it was Sheffield until I briefly saw High Green on a tram & then the old bank which is now the Banker's Draft.