John Lewis

Guest makapaka
11 hours ago, ormester said:

What rubbish would you go to curry's get a tv  no guarantee or jl 5 year guarantee  

John Lewis should build one like leeds

You get a 5 year guarantee at curry’s.

but when you buy it you won’t get the bag that says you bought it from John Lewis obviously.

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

You get a 5 year guarantee at curry’s.

but when you buy it you won’t get the bag that says you bought it from John Lewis obviously.

You’ll need a pretty impressive bag to fit round a tv.

I also find that buying electrical items from JL is much more pleasant than buying them from Curry’s. None of that extended warranty stuff, or attempts to steal personal info for spamming purposes 

25 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You’ll need a pretty impressive bag to fit round a tv.

I also find that buying electrical items from JL is much more pleasant than buying them from Curry’s. None of that extended warranty stuff, or attempts to steal personal info for spamming purposes 

If JL (or Currys or whoever) don't get your address when you buy a TV aren't they breaking the law?

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If JL (or Currys or whoever) don't get your address when you buy a TV aren't they breaking the law?

They are indeed. But Curry’s demand it routinely. Pop in for a kettle and they’ll be asking for your post code and house number

16 hours ago, dutch said:

John Lewis is a very nice store that is not used by the lower classes.

A lot of investment money goes to the rich these days but you could always argue that they are the ones paying taxes.

Yesterday in a carpark we met a very nice friendly man with a john lewis logo on his top and asked him about the new development.

He was very happy that these changes made it possible to keep the sheffield location. 

Personally I think that if no decent EU agreement is made while the economy recovers from what is happening today stores like john Lewis will keep on losing ground. 

What do you mean by ‘lower classes’. I feel as though I have stepped back into the John Cleese/Ronnie Barker/Ronnie Corbett sketch. It’s not about class, it’s about individual choice and resources 

5 hours ago, apelike said:

I don't think so as IIRC that law was repealed by a Conservative coalition Government in 2013. 

Maybe “demand” is a bit strong. 

“Request forcefully” might be a better description of their appalling sales technique.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Maybe “demand” is a bit strong. 

“Request forcefully” might be a better description of their appalling sales technique.

Have bought from both - experience was no different.

john Lewis have just done a better job at their aspirational brand marketing.

they also sell the same products at the same price - but tell you they’re never knowingly undersold - which translates to sometimes we’ll charge  you more than others but sometimes the same - and people think they’re getting a great deal.

ive nothing against John Lewis by the way - more the people that think they’re better than others cos they go there.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

ive nothing against John Lewis by the way - more the people that think they’re better than others cos they go there.

It is interesting that this thread is dominated by people who dislike JL because of some form of inverted snobbery.

Guest makapaka
7 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

It is interesting that this thread is dominated by people who dislike JL because of some form of inverted snobbery.

There’s nothing inverted about questioning people who make statements like “the lower classes don’t use John Lewis”