Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

Heresay - and I've spoken to many many people who think that the precautions aren't strict enough - neither case is based on fact.

True or false is irrelevant to the point I was making- that many people are against the covid hysteria, but keep quiet due to fear of losing their jobs, in this case, nurses and NHS workers who know the measures are excessive and harmful, but can't express their views.

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It’s a good job that you and Dave turned up, to point us onto the one true path.

Ad hominem attacks simply indicate a lack of rational response.

54 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Ian Prowse, the Liverpudlian singer posted this to Facebook yesterday:

Ian Brown/Noel Gallagher/Van Morrison: Cotton masks/being inside for a bit”

Prowse is well worth a bit of your time if you have a Spotify account.

Misrepresentation with intent to ridicule- it's not about "Cotton masks/being inside for a bit”, it's about the mortality consequences of thousands of failed small businesses, mass unemployment, destruction of entire industries, the mental health consequences of tens of thousands being forced onto an inept and cruel benefits system, people dying from cancer because they could not access diagnosis or treatment.

7 minutes ago, ivan edake said:

What I can't understand is the fact that the government puts all these measures in place then allows car boots to take place all over the country and also various demonstrations.Both these activities attract thousands of people who are all close together.I was also surprised that not only has Blackpool illuminations been allowed to take place they have been given a two month extension.Allowing these activities is a bad decision,small wonder youngsters organise booze ups and quite rightly think they have the right to organise a similar crowd mixing activity.

One answer to this could simply be pressure from the press and social media, that the Government listens to intently.

The Government signalled schools could re-open and people could go back to work.

Pressure from hospitality/leisure industry to ease social distancing etc - Government allows it - leading many to think "panic over" and we are back to normal.

Infections increase - cue next lockdown

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

How does it harm them? Love to see the facts, not the Daily |Express/Mail type, but actual facts...

Talk to the government experts who put exemptions for disabled people in place for full details- they clearly believe that masks are harmful to some. Obviously anyone with breathing issues would likely be harmed by being forced to wear a mask; many autistic people find them highly distressing.

25 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Misrepresentation with intent to ridicule- it's not about "Cotton masks/being inside for a bit”, it's about the mortality consequences of thousands of failed small businesses, mass unemployment, destruction of entire industries, the mental health consequences of tens of thousands being forced onto an inept and cruel benefits system, people dying from cancer because they could not access diagnosis or treatment.

All that anyone is being asked to do at the moment is to wear a face covering in crowded public places, keep their distance and keep their hands clean.

Sadly, we’ve become a society of whingers who would rather pick arguments than take collective action. 

The way to avoid the problems that you have highlighted is to follow the expert guidance, not look for reasons to avoid doing so.

1 hour ago, ivan edake said:

What I can't understand is the fact that the government puts all these measures in place then allows car boots to take place all over the country and also various demonstrations.Both these activities attract thousands of people who are all close together.I was also surprised that not only has Blackpool illuminations been allowed to take place they have been given a two month extension.Allowing these activities is a bad decision,small wonder youngsters organise booze ups and quite rightly think they have the right to organise a similar crowd mixing activity.

seems theres been a few protests around the country today by our friendly neighbourhood conspiracy nutcases :(

45 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

The way to avoid the problems that you have highlighted is to follow the expert guidance, not look for reasons to avoid doing so.

The problems I'm highlighting are- "the mortality consequences of thousands of failed small businesses, mass unemployment, destruction of entire industries, the mental health consequences of tens of thousands being forced onto an inept and cruel benefits system, people dying from cancer because they could not access diagnosis or treatment."

Clearly, every single one of them will be a direct consequence of the lockdown measures and nothing else- the 'expert guidance' was the source of the lockdown. People need to question 'expert guidance' that leads to such consequences.

Edited by onewheeldave

18 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

The problems I'm highlighting are- "the mortality consequences of thousands of failed small businesses, mass unemployment, destruction of entire industries, the mental health consequences of tens of thousands being forced onto an inept and cruel benefits system, people dying from cancer because they could not access diagnosis or treatment."

Clearly, every single one of them will be a direct consequence of the lockdown measures and nothing else- the 'expert guidance' was the source of the lockdown. People need to question 'expert guidance' that leads to such consequences.

So what do you imagine might have happened if there hadn't  been a lockdown? 

Could life have carried on as normal?

Edited by Longcol

17 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I read your list of problems the first time you wrote them down.

The way to avoid lockdown is for us all to work together to fight the virus. That involves everybody following the expert guidance

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

I read your list of problems the first time you wrote them down.

The way to avoid lockdown is for us all to work together to fight the virus. That involves everybody following the expert guidance

Another way to avoid lockdown is to simply not have another lockdown- acknowledge that the mortality consequences of economic destruction combined with the fact that less than 28 people a day are dying from coronavirus contraindicates another lockdown.

6 minutes ago, Longcol said:

So what do you imagine might have happened if there hadn't  been a lockdown? 

Could life have carried on as normal?

With the benefit of hindsight I'd say it would have made more sense for the vulnerable to quarantine, while everyone else gets on with things, thus avoiding the economic devastation that is to come.

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Another way to avoid lockdown is to simply not have another lockdown- acknowledge that the mortality consequences of economic destruction combined with the fact that less than 28 people a day are dying from coronavirus contraindicates another lockdown.

The reduction In death rates is a direct consequence of reduction in transmission of the virus due to the lockdown.