Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Although way behind April when we were averaging nearly 20 times that amount for covid related deaths- then lockdown kicked in and reduced the rate.

20x 41 deaths a day in the UK? That would be over 800/day.

I was under the impression that they reached around 320/day in April- do you have a link showing which date it reached 800?

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I was under the impression that they reached around 320/day in April- do you have a link showing which date it reached 800?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/19/over-1000-deaths-day-uk-ministers-accused-downplaying-covid-19-peak

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I think you missed this post.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/116/?tab=comments#comment-8369029

14 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I'm a bit wary of the phrase "Deaths involving COVID" in that document [as opposed to 'deaths caused by COVID'.

The phrase "Deaths involving COVID" appears 32 times in that somewhat convoluted and long document, but I'm struggling to find a definition of what it means, in the document itself- the closest I can see is-

"The doctor certifying a death can list all causes in the chain of events that led to the death and pre-existing conditions that may have contributed to the death. Using this information, we determine an underlying cause of death. More information on this process can be found in our user guide. In the following analysis, we look at where COVID-19 was mentioned anywhere on the death certificate as opposed to where COVID-19 was the underlying cause of death."

I think we need a document listing 'deaths caused by COVID', otherwise we're getting into the 'died with COVID' vs 'died of COVID' issue.

Edited by onewheeldave

14 minutes ago, butlers said:

It seemed relentless,  just up and up ,think it topped out at about 1200 deaths on a couple if days

Well if we've been taught anything in the past few days about the large numbers of students who have ended up catching it in Glasgow & Manchester, is how virulent this virus is & how easily it spreads. 

Edited by Baron99

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I'm a bit wary of the phrase "Deaths involving COVID" in that document [as opposed to 'deaths caused by COVID'.

The phrase "Deaths involving COVID" appears 32 times in that somewhat convoluted and long document, but I'm struggling to find a definition of what it means, in the document itself- the closest I can see is-

"The doctor certifying a death can list all causes in the chain of events that led to the death and pre-existing conditions that may have contributed to the death. Using this information, we determine an underlying cause of death. More information on this process can be found in our user guide. In the following analysis, we look at where COVID-19 was mentioned anywhere on the death certificate as opposed to where COVID-19 was the underlying cause of death."

I think we need a document listing 'deaths caused by COVID', otherwise we're getting into the 'died with COVID' vs 'died of COVID' issue.

Then get in touch with ONS because they have the stats.

What if - as happened in many cases - covid causes kidney failure? Cause of death, covid or kidney failure or both?

Covid was a big killer (and may well be again) - you appear to have underestimated it by a quite a large factor.