Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 minutes ago, butlers said:

The fact you put a smiley  does not speak well 

I didn't, you've [accidently, I hope] mixed 2 of my quotes the one with the smiley was a reply to this nasty bit of rudeness-

8 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

Go out, spread it about, nothing stopping you. If you want to act like a 3 year old do it. There are plenty of adults around to pick up the pieces for you. 

Edited by onewheeldave

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

Sadly the NHS is likely to be at breaking point with the huge backlog of cases that went untreated during the lockdown.

Or the coming wave of new covid cases - it's already happening in France  (Marseille) and Spain (Madrid). Is the UK going to be somehow exceptional?

Just now, Longcol said:

Or the coming wave of new covid cases - it's already happening in France  (Marseille) and Spain (Madrid). Is the UK going to be somehow exceptional?

This is going round in pointless circles. 

I'm going to focus on the actual deaths- my feeling is they won't get high. 

However, if, in a months time we're at a 1000 a day, then clearly, I was wrong.

3 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Why not hospitalisations as well? It's not just a case of you die or get better without any long term effects. And it's hospitalisations that put the strain on the NHS and cause postponement of other treatments, not deaths.

There's a lag between infection / hospitalisation / deaths. Hospitalisations have just started to go up.......................

9 hours ago, butlers said:

Even in good years it feels we have stories the nhs is at breaking point during winter  so I hope we have  mild flu season

It doesn't matter which political party we have in charge, every year for decades, we've had the same message.  The NHS is 40,000+  nurses & 5,000+ doctors short?  Nobody ever says or provides actual proof that we have this many actual vacancies or if we were magically able to provide the actual finances to fund all these additional posts, where would we actually place all these additional employees? 

A quick check on NHS numbers from the Internet indicates that around April this year, (presumably at the end of the financial year?), the NHS was employing 296,008 nurses & 120,194 doctors.  That roughly works out at 1 NHS employee for every 171 people, based on 66 million in the UK.   The figures actually show an increase in the region of 4,000+ in both doctors & nurses from the previous year. 

Yes it would be good to get that ratio down to say 1 to 100 people but  I can't see that happening due to financial constraints? 

However, when you consider that the NHS. as a whole employs 1.1 million workers, maybe financial resources could be redirected by cutting back on the numbers of non-medical staff at middle & senior management? 

Edited by Baron99

10 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Going round in pointless circles alright - we agree on that.

That's  because you want to focus on something which is just a figure which everyone plucks out of the air to serve their own point.

You can focus on what you like but nobody knows the exact number of deaths because everyone changes the criteria all the time.

The true number should be the difference between a months figures this year compared to the same months figures, on average, from previous years.

That would put the total number of deaths at around 70,000 for England alone.

Why does it have to be 10.000 a day before you admit you are wrong?

Numbers like that only happen if you have a population equal to the USA or more.

As Longcol says  deaths are not the only important factor - the number of hospitalisations  is equally as important.

All these people are using valuable NHS resources whether they live or die and many need long term care afterwards.

Would you like to pick up the financial tab for this rather than just take the precautions which the government is asking for    -  or

do we change everything to suit your own personal circumstances?

Can't fault your fair mindedness.

Sort of good news from.Scotland.

Of the increasing numbers of positive tests ,43 percent are teenagers who are in the least likely to be seriously sickened by the virus.

Edited by butlers