Coronavirus - Part Two.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Wards were empty, patients weren't allowed to come into empty hopsitals. I see quite a few consultants- they confirm what I'm saying here. You'd be surprised I think if you knew how many NHS staff think that the measures are way overblown and counter productive and harmful o patients.

I'm not surprised, there were quite a lot of dance videos posted, a lot of bored nurses who could have been treating patients. 

Nurses obviously aren't allowed to have a few minutes off to relieve the tension of some hard graft then?

Edited by Longcol

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

"Substantial increases in the number of avoidable cancer deaths in England are to be expected as a result of diagnostic delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK. Urgent policy interventions are necessary, particularly the need to manage the backlog within routine diagnostic services to mitigate the expected impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on patients with cancer."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(20)30388-0/fulltext

That’s beyond doubt.

It doesn’t preclude the correct preventative measures being taken to control Covid.

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

"Substantial increases in the number of avoidable cancer deaths in England are to be expected as a result of diagnostic delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK. Urgent policy interventions are necessary, particularly the need to manage the backlog within routine diagnostic services to mitigate the expected impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on patients with cancer."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(20)30388-0/fulltext

Yup - a backlog due to the extreme number of covid cases that the NHS had to deal with.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Nurses obviously aren't allowed to have a few minutes off to relieve the tension of some hard graft then?

Usually no- nurses are notoriously overworked, underpaid, lots of unpaid overtime as, normally, the NHS is stretched to it's limits treating more patients than it can handle- very stressful job.

However, with the lockdown so many nurses in empty wards had so little to do that..... dance routines/youtube.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

That’s beyond doubt.

It doesn’t preclude the correct preventative measures being taken to control Covid.

Some one actually acknowledges that a lot of cancer patients have been denied essential treatment, that is progress. Hopefully people can acknowledge the unemployment/ruined small businesses/mental illnesses that are/will be consequences of the covid preventative measures.

5 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Usually no- nurses are notoriously overworked, underpaid, lots of unpaid overtime as, normally, the NHS is stretched to it's limits treating more patients than it can handle- very stressful job.

And then along comes huge extra demand from covid - I thought you said "the NHS was nowhere near overwhelmed" - and yet it's normally stretched to it's limits with more patients that it can handle........................................................

Edited by Longcol

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Yup - a backlog due to the extreme number of covid cases that the NHS had to deal with.

Nope, a backlog due to the numbers of non-covid patients denied essential treatment during the unecessary closure of many wards 

[in reality of course, probably a bit of both]

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

And then along comes huge extra demand from covid - I thought you said "the NHS was nowhere near overwhelmed" - and yet it's normally stretched to it's limits with more patients that it can handle........................................................

No, I said the NHS had come nowhere close to being overwhelmed by covid.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

Nope, a backlog due to the numbers of non-covid patients denied essential treatment during the unecessary closure of many wards 

[in reality of course, probably a bit of both]

See above.

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

However, with the lockdown so many nurses in empty wards had so little to do that..... dance routines/youtube.

Some one actually acknowledges that a lot of cancer patients have been denied essential treatment, that is progress. Hopefully people can acknowledge the unemployment/ruined small businesses/mental illnesses that are/will be consequences of the covid preventative measures.

I read that alot of breast cancer screenings were missed as well. Small businesses are disappearing everyday - mine is clinging on by its fingertips, the entire industry is clinging on by its fingertips. I'm not saying it isn't a painful **** show (one that's been horribly mismanaged) but what's the option? Don't say Sweden.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Maybe you need to acknowledge that masks, distancing and hand hygiene are all simple, but effective steps in combating a serious threat to public health.

That, and the fact that unless we all act together, this thing will become even worse than it is now.