Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

User error. Its not that masks don't work.

Its a major failure that there was no education campaign explaining how to safely use them. Also perhaps a major failure of our education system that so many did not think to find out how to use them safely (very easy with google) before using them.

No one wants to pay to use masks correctly,  IE use for 15 minutes then throw them away, for a disease with a 99.5% survival rate.  Same as no one wants Boris to spend 100 billion of public funds  on constantly testing us for that same disease.  Perhaps if it was serious and millions were dying, then yes.  But not for something that overwhelmingly kills those who are well past average life span and with comorbidities.. 

Its a criminal overreaction, that has led to numerous avoidable deaths due to denying tax payers access to the NHS that they are heavily taxed for - and still does this to this day.  Better make sure you don't get ill in the foreseeable future as you will be on your own!

What has surprised me, is how pathetic, and weak minded our people are. How easily they accepted illogical tyranny with barely a complaint.  A tribute to our dumbed-down education system I guess.

Edited by avalunche

6 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

The following is not high theatre..

A high degree of compliance will maximise the impact of universal masking in public. The global shortage of surgical masks and N95 respirators is a serious concern. In line with the recent recommedation by US CDC for healthy people to wear a cloth face cover in public [14], we strongly support the use of cloth masks as a simple, economic and sustainable alternative to surgical mask as a means of source control for general community use, so that disposable surgical masks and N95 respirators can be reserved for use in health care facilities. Such intervention is likely to be life-saving in many resource limited settings.

We've heard it a thousand times. How about addressing the point raised a few posts back, that masks are not being used in a safe manner, and my suggestion that it may be virtually impossible to use masks in a safe manner?

Edited by onewheeldave

I am now thinking that Sheffield  along with Nottingham and  maybe other cities has had extra  measures imposed  because of high numbers of student cases.  We now cannot  meet with our own families in our own homes. This was allowed to happen by the Government and the Universities and was  I believe predictable.  I am not sure how much the students themselves are responsible but their interests seem to have been put ahead of those of the rest of us.

17 minutes ago, Common Tater said:

I am now thinking that Sheffield  along with Nottingham and  maybe other cities has had extra  measures imposed  because of high numbers of student cases.  We now cannot  meet with our own families in our own homes. This was allowed to happen by the Government and the Universities and was  I believe predictable.  I am not sure how much the students themselves are responsible but their interests seem to have been put ahead of those of the rest of us.

Correct.  Also what was quite predictable, was that the students would end up paying eye watering fees and accommodation costs just to end up doing online learning!  

Though I do not agree that young people should sacrifice their life and future to keep those who have already lived their lives alive for a few months longer.  I find it quite obscene frankly.  I read this quote elsewhere

"Never have so many sacrificed so much for so few"

35 minutes ago, avalunche said:

Correct.  Also what was quite predictable, was that the students would end up paying eye watering fees and accommodation costs just to end up doing online learning!  

Though I do not agree that young people should sacrifice their life and future to keep those who have already lived their lives alive for a few months longer.  I find it quite obscene frankly.  I read this quote elsewhere

"Never have so many sacrificed so much for so few"

Haha, yeah cos not going on a freshers week is exactly the same as being shot at by the Luftwaffe!

2 hours ago, Common Tater said:

The government has been clear for months that school and university education would get the highest priority for being open, and that other sectors would have to shut down to compensate for the infections this would cause.

55 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Well said.

I suppose this is why they are known as the snowflake generation!

2 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Is it at all practical for the public to use masks safely?

Taking them off and  putting them on repeatedly as they enter/leave multiple shops means they have to touch the masks. The masks need to be stored [in a pocket?]

Not true if used correctly. You should never touch the mask. Only touch the attachments used to secure it.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Haha, yeah cos not going on a freshers week is exactly the same as being shot at by the Luftwaffe!

That's not what i meant at all.  What i meant, is young people who studied years for exams and than at the end weren't allowed to take them.  I mean people who built up a business, that was forced to close.  I mean people who had planned a year abroad teaching that was cancelled.  I mean those that were in line for routine, but essential health procedures that were cancelled.  I mean those that needed a simple filling but ended up losing a tooth or having a root canal due to inability to get help.  I mean those who lost love ones who were denied the chance to say goodbye.  I mean those denied contact with grandchildren and family.  The list goes on and on.

Are you really so blind to what is going on that the only thing you think people have sacrificed is a week of drinking?  Seriously?  Hopefully you were joking.....  Many of those above are real examples from my friends and family.

Edited by avalunche