Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

I find it sad that a large number who are wearing masks do not believe they work, and are doing so either becasue they are forced to, or because they well meaningly but wrongly assume that it 'reassures others'.

You don’t know that. You’ve just made it up.

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I find it sad that a large number who are wearing masks do not believe they work, and are doing so either becasue they are forced to, or because they well meaningly but wrongly assume that it 'reassures others'.

Why do you think they ‘wrongly assume’?

My Mum would be the first one to say she feels massively reassured and much more confident being out and about if everyone is wearing masks.

7 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I find it more sad and disturbing that a number of people pretend that they are worried that government measures are causing an increase in cancer deaths, suicides etc. when the reality is they probably don't care at all; they just don't want to wear a mask.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

5 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Yes you are- and making out that you have a better understanding of my mental health than I do is supremely arrogant.

People refusing to wear masks affects the mental health of others. Maybe you should examine your own arrogance.

Edited by Pettytom

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

Why do you think they ‘wrongly assume’?

My Mum would be the first one to say she feels massively reassured and much more confident being out and about if everyone is wearing masks.

But you can't extrapolate from your mum being reassured to everyone, or even, the majority, being ressured. Seeing masked people does not ressure me, it harms me- I am far from the only one.

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

People refusing to wear masks affects the mental health of others. Maybe you should examine your own arrogance.

And people wearing maks affects the mental health of others [adversely]

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

But you can't extrapolate from your mum being reassured to everyone, or even, the majority, being ressured. Seeing masked people does not ressure me, it harms me- I am far from the only one.

Unmasking society and removing social distancing rules would lead to the total isolation of about two million vulnerable people, who would all have to isolate themselves from society.

I actually do understand your problems, probably better than you think I do. However, on balance, being upset at the sight of people wearing masks is a much lower priority than allowing  millions of people to go about their daily lives reasonably normally.

I think we will all be glad when this is over. Until then, we all need to look after each other. You don’t seem to be up for that.

Edited by Pettytom

Just now, onewheeldave said:

Doesn’t that work both ways tho? I’m sure my Mums far from being the only one too.

You not being reassured isn’t more important than my Mum being the opposite.

And you being sure you’re not the only one not reassured doesn’t mean everyone, or even the majority either.