Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I can’t be bothered to listen to failed dancers.

Or disgraced Prime Ministers such as Tony Blair advocating mass vaccination using a vaccine that could be 50% effective but has not gone through full evaluation. I’d be at the front of the queue for a vaccine but I’d want it to have gone through full safety and effectiveness scrutiny 

25 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Or disgraced Prime Ministers such as Tony Blair advocating mass vaccination using a vaccine that could be 50% effective but has not gone through full evaluation. I’d be at the front of the queue for a vaccine but I’d want it to have gone through full safety and effectiveness scrutiny 

The safety thing is fine. The vaccines have all been in development for years for one reason or another.  They are safe.

The big question is, do they work?

Oxford vaccine induces antibodies and T cell responses.

A coronavirus vaccine should be effective after one or even two vaccinations and work in target populations- including older adults and people with other health conditions.

It should give protection for a minimum of six months, and reduce onward transmission of the virus to contacts.

(The above is my paraphrasing of part of the Article )

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/coronavirus-oxford-vaccine-shows-strong-antibody-and-t-cell-immune-response/

it must be recognised that the most effective way to immunise against many infectious diseases is likely to be to employ both cellular and humoral immune responses against the pathogen.

The link below describes the importance of T cells in human immune responses and the role  of vaccination.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3246649/

The Oxford vaccination appears to be enrolling both the humoral and cellular arms of the human immune system.

Edited by petemcewan

7 hours ago, Pettytom said:

The safety thing is fine. The vaccines have all been in development for years for one reason or another.  They are safe.

The big question is, do they work?

From what I’ve read, one problem with taking a vaccine which has been fast tracked is it that it could turn people into asymptomatic carriers who spread the virushttps://www.chemistryworld.com/news/what-are-the-risks-of-fast-tracking-a-covid-19-vaccine/4012130.article

Amongst other issues.

Rolling out a vaccine without full evaluation  risks greater costs in the long term than investing a bit more time now.

Rushing, panicking and half baked measures releasing and reinstating lockdowns have made a bad situation even worse. We really shouldn’t be taking risks like this with vaccines.

Edited by redruby

Just back from the dog's late walk tonight - Saturday, 8.45 - and couldn't help notice the amount of traffic.

It's just like a normal Saturday night...

Where've all these people been?

What for?

Where are these people driving to?

Have they all been to supermarkets?

They must be doing a roaring trade if so...

14 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Just back from the dog's late walk tonight - Saturday, 8.45 - and couldn't help notice the amount of traffic.

It's just like a normal Saturday night...

Where've all these people been?

What for?

Where are these people driving to?

Have they all been to supermarkets?

They must be doing a roaring trade if so...

.....Jobs, carers, support bubbles, shoppers, childcare, takeaway collections and delivery drivers, taxi drivers and maybe just people who fancied getting out of the house and taking their car for a run out.....  loads of potential reasons.

8:45 is certainly not deemed late night by any means. I don't think even the major stores close until after that time,  let alone smaller businesses and food service. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

43 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

.....Jobs, carers, support bubbles, shoppers, childcare, takeaway collections and delivery drivers, taxi drivers and maybe just people who fancied getting out of the house and taking their car for a run out.....  loads of potential reasons.

8:45 is certainly not deemed late night by any means. I don't think even the major stores close until after that time,  let alone smaller businesses and food service. 

I think you'll find that with the exception of supermarkets most major stores have been closed for a couple of hours and smaller local businesses still open are mini-markets or off licences where the majority of trade is on foot.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

All of which can therefore apply to any night at circa 8.45.

The 'stay at home' advice  for lockdown2 isn't going to work at that rate.

(Incidentally, it's now 10.50pm, and the road - granted, a main one - is still busy)

8 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

All of which can therefore apply to any night at circa 8.45.

The 'stay at home' advice  for lockdown2 isn't going to work at that rate.

(Incidentally, it's now 10.50pm, and the road - granted, a main one - is still busy)

It doesn’t feel like a ‘lockdown’ at all. 
Prof Devi Shridhar has made some excellent points on lockdowns https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2020/11/devi-sridhar-how-uk-can-avoid-endless-cycle-lockdowns