Coronavirus - Part Two.

I was in the Metro shopping centre Gateshead on Saturday.  Most of the cafes were open for takeaway food and drink only, in line with government covid rules.  All seats had been removed in the centre to prevent people from sitting down, the only alternative was for people to sit on the floor to eat and drink their food. I’ve never seen as many people sitting on the floor at this shopping centre before, there was some social distancing but not in all parts of the centre.   The police and security staff didn’t do anything there  was to many peole sat on the floor eating and drinking .  

You could see inside all of these cafes that were open to serve takeaway food only how they had made their premises covid secure after the first lockdown ended,  and they were not allowed to let people sit in them.  I’m sure It would have been more safer to sit in a cafe  than sat on the floor.

12 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

Social distancing at its best here..

👇 https://t.co/gKEuEVuipJ

That was in London yesterday.

Some people will never learn , remain stupid and think this is all some joke.

Similar problems in Nottingham city centre.  The area, like most in the north is in Tier 3 but Nottingham City Council, saw fit, despite concerns of many, to give the ok to a Christmas Market. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-nottinghamshire-55213484

Dave Trimble, the authority's portfolio holder for leisure and culture admitted "this time we got it wrong".

Edited by Baron99

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Similar problems in Nottingham city centre.  The area, like most in the north is in Tier 3 but Nottingham City Council, saw fit, despite concerns of many, to give the ok to a Christmas Market. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-nottinghamshire-55213484

Dave Trimble, the authority's portfolio holder for leisure and culture admitted "this time we got it wrong".

Feel sorry for all the traders. Our council has let the tree sellers on graves park living together since before the lockdown ended which would have annoyed a lot of shop owners who were closed.  

An interesting interview with Neil Oliver on TalkRadio which addresses some issues I'd not thought about i.e. now it has been established that governments can lock down the economy and travel to the extent that it has over covid, and the infrastructure and industry that has arisen to enforce that level of lockdown, at any point in the future, it could do the exact same thing, either in response to a further virus, or now, pretty much anything that it declares to be a national emergency.

How is this going to affect the willingness of people to consider, for example, setting up a business. Having seen so many businesses destroyed by the lockdown, what is, even in normal times, a huge risk, is made much worse by the fact that now, in addition to all the standard concerns, we have the possibility of future lockdowns [mainly discussed in the second 1/2 of the video]

11 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

An interesting interview with Neil Oliver on TalkRadio which addresses some issues I'd not thought about i.e. now it has been established that governments can lock down the economy and travel to the extent that it has over covid, and the infrastructure and industry that has arisen to enforce that level of lockdown, at any point in the future, it could do the exact same thing, either in response to a further virus, or now, pretty much anything that it declares to be a national emergency.

How is this going to affect the willingness of people to consider, for example, setting up a business. Having seen so many businesses destroyed by the lockdown, what is, even in normal times, a huge risk, is made much worse by the fact that now, in addition to all the standard concerns, we have the possibility of future lockdowns [mainly discussed in the second 1/2 of the video]

It's an interesting point (I've not watched the video, 20 mins is  too long for a random Internet video, he needs to get the gist across in 30 seconds really :P )

Yes, the Government can lockdown the country but I believe it needs to get approval from Parliament - at least things are getting voted on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

At the risk of a slight tangent, this is what the Gina Miller brexit court case was about, and one thing I was very concerned about re brexit - the ability of the executive to do what they wanted without a vote in Parliament.

If Parliament agrees with the executive, well then that's what we voted for. Vote differently next time if you disagree. Allowing the executive do do what they want without Parliamentary scrutiny is not the democracy I think we should be living in.

Interesting article about the Moderna vaccine - apparently it was created on January 13th, two days after Professor Zhang Yongzhen had released the genetic sequence of the virus to the world.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-design.html

For the too long, didn't read crowd, I thought this was the most interesting paragraph :

"the major reason this vaccine timeline has shrunk is that much of the research and preclinical animal testing was done in the aftermath of the 2003 SARS pandemic (that is, for instance, how we knew to target the spike protein). This would be the model. Scientists have a very clear sense of which virus families have pandemic potential, and given the resemblance of those viruses, can develop not only vaccines for all of them but also ones that could easily be tweaked to respond to new variants within those families."

Whiteowl,

I read the whole thing .Even looked up F Balloux. It's a bit of an eye opener.

But vaccines from conception to completion in a period of 3 months . I'm not so sure.

The author invokes, Thomas Mckeown.

" The improvement in health during the last three centuries was due essentially to provision of food,protection from hazards,and limitation of numbers,and assessment of  the residual health problems suggest that the same influences are likely to be effective in the future. But with this difference., that in developed countries personal behaviour (in relation to alcohol, diet, exercise,tobacco,drugs,etc) is now even more important than  provision of food and control of hazards.

It follows that if heal is to improve substantially , increases attention must be given-- in education, research , and service---to the non personal measures which are the predominant determinants",

(Prevention,Technology and Care. Thomas Mckeown,

from , Doctors,Patients and Society.Power and authority in medical care,Pub:Calgary Institute for the Humanities.ISBN 0-88920-111-0  ).

Dr T.McKeown has great historical standing in the academic field for the study of Public Health.

I'm  personally not a great fan of his brand of authoritarianism.

I imagine-if he was alive today-he'd be banging the drum for "warp speed" in the development of vaccines- and compulsory vaccination.

Thank you for that link-it was well worth a read from start to finish.

One has to be alert to Fake News nowadays.(Not that I think It's fake),

Edited by petemcewan
spelling