Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Went for my 2nd jab last week at a GP practice. Nurses there seemed a bit downbeat - it was very quiet, 19 people had not attended after booking it. 

That is terrible. I can understand that it's a choice and up to the person to decide if they want one but people should be fined for not turning up after booking one. Same goes for missing any appointments that are booked.

Guest makapaka
21 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Some people who had the first vaccine did so having believed the rhetoric that mass vaccinations would mean an end to restrictions. Now it is obvious that that isn't true, and that all it takes is another variation to initiate further measures/lockdowns, I guess they've lost interest in having a 2nd vaccination. 

Probably a bit of truth in this

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

Probably a bit of truth in this

I think so too. Another part that I see is from people who just don't want the vaccine and see it as unnecessary for them to have one. Traditionally a vaccine was given to protect the person being vaccinated but this time it's not so much that as many are now getting the vaccine even though they may have had coronavirus and may also have the antibodies to help fight against it. 

Edited by apelike

1 minute ago, apelike said:

I think so too. Another part that I see is from people who just don't want the vaccine and see it as unnecessary for them to have one. Traditionally a vaccine was given to protect the person being vaccinated but this time it's not so much that as many are now getting the vaccine even though they may have had coronavirus and may also have the antibodies to help fight against it. 

@apelike- double 'insurance'?

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@apelike- double 'insurance'?

It may be yes. I have proposed in the past that everybody should be tested for antibodies to see if that have already contracted it before and vaccination was offered as having one might simply be not necessary. Two of my family members will not have it and I know plenty of others as well but can only speak of my experiences. One of my family was in tears a few days ago because of being bullied and argued with at work because she refuses to have one.  Both have mixed with people who have tested positive in the past with those people only showing mild symptoms and yet they themselves not been affected. Because of that the don't see the need and don't see why they should be bullied and I can actually understand why. Having said that they have been respectful to me by distancing and before me being vaccinated wearing a mask at times.

Edited by apelike

Antibody tests are available privately. The price of getting an antibody test for the spike protein from SuperDrug is £50, I do not know what it would be to the NHS were they to offer it on a mass basis. Everybody having an antibody test so as to possibly avoid having a vaccine does not immediately strike me as a great idea.

Edited by Carbuncle

Just now, Carbuncle said:

Antibody tests are available privately. The price of getting an antibody test for the spike protein from SuperDrug is £50, I do not know what it would be to the NHS were they to offer it on a mass basis. Everybody having an antibody test so as to possibly avoid having a vaccine does not strike me as a great idea.

It's not about avoiding the vaccine though but about whether it is really necessary to have it.