Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 minutes ago, butlers said:

It's a balance ,I guess allow as much freedom.as we can but ensure the hospitals never get swamped.

Remember the scenes from Bergamo, Sky report is still on Youtube.

30 vaccines under development so I am staying hopeful

AS has been noted previously on this thread, a vaccine has to be developed and go through an exhaustive testing procedure before it can be licensed.  Even if one of the vaccines passed initial tests, it still has a long way (probably more than a year) to go before it is cleared and licensed for general use.  That is, unless Boris decides to ignore his medical advice and risk using it before all the scientific testing is complete.

I keep eyeing up the bleach under the sink🤔

Thankfully most of us are going to get this or at least if we do it's asymptomatic  ,not worried for myself but want to lock the folks away Eyam style 

Radio 4 had almost a covid evening with 3 programmes  relevant.

Crossing everything the Oxford developed vaccine works,early days the head of the programme was interviewed the other day

10 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

A second lockdown is looking inevitable now. Cases rising rapidly and behaviour not really adjusting to take account of the infection rates.

It’s a shame really that the actions of careless folk affect the liberty of the rest of us

Oh no no no. No national lockdown, just lots of local lockdowns (13.5m and counting). If we have a national lockdown, the government will have to put it's hand in it's pocket. If it's local, not nearly as much.

10 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

A second lockdown is looking inevitable now. Cases rising rapidly and behaviour not really adjusting to take account of the infection rates.

It’s a shame really that the actions of careless folk affect the liberty of the rest of us

totally with you on all points.

They look as if they are aiming for a natural break and to be seen to have given local/regional lockdowns a chance..... isn't half term for kids looming?....

Apelike

So we have a big problem, do we keep the numbers low by keeping widespread lockdowns in place and extend them indefinitely or do we now start to allow the numbers to rise?

Who is the "we"  in the last line of your paragraph ?

Edited by petemcewan

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Oh no no no. No national lockdown, just lots of local lockdowns (13.5m and counting). If we have a national lockdown, the government will have to put it's hand in it's pocket. If it's local, not nearly as much.

Word is that Boris will announce it early next week.

Two week lockdown to get infections back under control 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

They look as if they are aiming for a natural break and to be seen to have given local/regional lockdowns a chance..... isn't half term for kids looming?....

Might end up being a two week half term

52 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

AFAIK half term is a good month away.

I can’t see what a 2 week semi lockdown would really achieve given that children would still go to school, workers still be working and students still at university. Many people I’ve spoken to wouldn’t adhere to any new restrictions. I think the time will come when the government has to give people the facts and let them make their own decisions. 

45 minutes ago, catmiss said:

I can’t see what a 2 week semi lockdown would really achieve given that children would still go to school, workers still be working and students still at university. Many people I’ve spoken to wouldn’t adhere to any new restrictions. I think the time will come when the government has to give people the facts and let them make their own decisions. 

In theory you are correct.

However, you have to factor in the fact that some people are susceptible to influence from various nonsense pedlers. Flat earth society, 5G masts spreading coronavirus are a couple of examples that jump straight out.

Unless you catagorically tell these people what to do, they will still follow the advice of "Susan from Essex on twitter" as her degree from the school of hard knock is far more plausible than someone who has spent 40 years working in virology 🤷‍♂️