Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
40 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It will indeed be ironic if this new scariant, which people are getting so worried about (not me though),  is actually more infectious and out competes Delta, but has milder symptoms, and, therefore, it's actually a massive positive.

I would point out that is the natural evolution of most viruses.

Yup - which is what normally happens with these things.

Except now every time a variant is identified we panic.

it’s also a race to the bottom when it comes to restrictions - so all this stuff about “it’s only a mask when shopping” is the thin end of the wedge when you’ve got people going the pub and sports / social events etc etc.

So when the masks in shops thing doesn’t appear to be reducing cases then you can expect those other things to start disappearing again soon.

30 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

But you are only thinking of those who are scared like yourself. 

You aren't thinking of the exempt or those who choose not to wear an ineffective face cover. 

Yes I’m scared, I’m scared of dying, I’m scared of my loved ones dying but according to your way of thinking, some of the exempt people are not really ill they just don’t want to conform and what’s the alternative  not wear ineffective face masks, no mask and risk catching covid or spreading it.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Please stop misquoting me, I am not a conspiracy theorist, other than I think (know) that the government have tried to scare people as much as possible in order to ensure compliance with their Covid suppression strategy.

How you describe yourself is irrelevant compared to your suggestion to somebody  that they:

"Buy an exemption lanyard if you don't want any hassle."

This promotion of the mis-use of the "Sunflower" lanyard for people who wish to dodge their responsibility is just plain wrong.

56 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Omicron symptoms mild so far, says South African doctor who spotted it
Dr Angelique Coetzee, the South African doctor who first spotted the new Covid variant Omicron, says the patients seen so far have had "extremely mild symptoms" - but more time is needed before we know the seriousness of the disease for vulnerable people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-59450988

It will indeed be ironic if this new scariant, which people are getting so worried about (not me though),  is actually more infectious and out competes Delta, but has milder symptoms, and, therefore, it's actually a massive positive.

I would point out that is the natural evolution of most viruses.

Not ironic...terrific news if that turns out to be the case.

However as this thread is populated by some who base their thoughts on the exceptions rather than the rules lets just proceed sensibly.

17 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yes I’m scared, I’m scared of dying, I’m scared of my loved ones dying but according to your way of thinking, some of the exempt people are not really ill they just don’t want to conform and what’s the alternative  not wear ineffective face masks, no mask and risk catching covid or spreading it.

Your words, not mine. 

My kids are exempt. They aren't ill (cold, flu etc) but they are exempt. Do you have a problem with that? 

19 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yes I’m scared, I’m scared of dying, I’m scared of my loved ones dying 

Stay home then. 

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Conspiracy Theorist is not an insulting term , it has been used for decades to describe people who follow a Conspiracy Theory which "... is an explanation for an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy by sinister and powerful groups, often political in motivation, when other explanations are more probable." Wikipaedia

They exhibit certain behaviour pattern including inventing terms to describe those who don't actively support their version of reality, for example :

" ...ultrs compliers and pro-suppression [some will be, some will not]- those terms refer to the public majority who've bought into the covid insanity and sold their [and our] civil liberties down the river.:".

It is an insulting term when applied to people who aren't conspiracy theorists

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

The new rules for covid due to start on Tuesday is the right thing to do BUT why can’t people do what they are asked and wear a mask while shopping or travelling?  I’ve heard the excuse “ I’ve got asthma” I have that and it’s no problem for me to wear a mask for half an hour or so in each shop or while travelling, it’s just the people who just don’t want to do as they are asked for all our sakes.

...and so it starts again........

53 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Ignorant to think about others?

...same old cliched rubbish. What about you thinking about those badly affected by your complience to this hysterical hogwash and your attempts to shame them into going along with it??

15 minutes ago, lazarus said:

The alternative is to realise the threat has been blown out of all proportion, then get on with your life accordingly.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

It is an insulting term when applied to people who aren't conspiracy theorists

to be honest the years i've been on this forum, you've always come across as anti everything, but Autism i consider its a perfect term for you 🏌🏼‍♂️

42 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Well it's sad you are scared of dying, but this post is sums up exactly what I was talking about yesterday :

On 27/11/2021 at 17:53, Chekhov said:

Well I think this is because this is not about the science, other than the basic case fatality rate (between 1 in 100 and 1 in 200) and the average age of those sadly dying with or from Covid. Pretty much from the start it is about four things :

1 - People's risk aversion and their knowledge of risk probability.
2 - People's attitude to personal freedom, and, more significantly, to other people's personal freedom.
3 - People's attitude to the relative importance of length of life v quality of life.
4 - People's attitude to, and acceptance of, death.

Of all of them I suspect number 4 is the most significant. It is an historical trend for people to be less and less accepting of death. People have less and less to do with it and fear it more and more. I sometimes get the impression relatively few people have reconciled themselves to the fact they are going to die.

Edited by Chekhov