Coronavirus - Part Two.

34 minutes ago, top4718 said:

No one has yet explained how they are detecting this new variant in totally random. people, even medical people in South Africa are saying its a total overreaction.

Many medical institutions around the world are looking for the predicted variants and mutations by:

• further investigating a random number of positive (and negative/inconclusive tests for other reasons) PCR and other tests.
  • specifically looking at individuals cases which show unusual patterns.
  • directly sampling the whole population.
  • medical statisticians look for clusters, virulence, changing symptoms and altering transmission speeds.
  • and more

Each new find-and there are many,  has to be evaluated.

Thousands people finding and acting on/dismissing potential clues.

Coordinated reporting between institutions and across borders.

Some evaluations are quicker than other.

Some are flagged up early as they show that they have the potential to be nasty.

Further work -which takes time -is needed to find out what it will do.

In the meantime advice is prepared and given for medical agencies, planners, politicians, the public etc. to act on.

Previous inaction cost British lives.

25 minutes ago, top4718 said:

SA are saying the symptoms are very mild, the restrictions seem to be a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and make absolutely no sense.

if you actually watch the video that Jim Hardie posted a while back, the unbiased expert did mention 1 person (who discovered it) said it looked like it could be mild, but then somebody else in soweto said it could actually affect the young and unnvacinated even more.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

if you actually watch the video that Jim Hardie posted a while back, the unbiased expert did mention 1 person (who discovered it) said it looked like it could be mild, but then somebody else in soweto said it could actually affect the young and unnvacinated even more.

He's the one that will have been paid off 🤣

Lets face it the booster uptake is low, it's odd how the variants always seem to fit the bill of affecting the latest people they want to target, even some people who have had two previous jabs are in no rush to get the latest one.

22 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Many medical institutions around the world are looking for the predicted variants and mutations by:

• further investigating a random number of positive (and negative/inconclusive tests for other reasons) PCR and other tests.
  • specifically looking at individuals cases which show unusual patterns.
  • directly sampling the whole population.
  • medical statisticians look for clusters, virulence, changing symptoms and altering transmission speeds.
  • and more

Each new find-and there are many,  has to be evaluated.

Thousands people finding and acting on/dismissing potential clues.

Coordinated reporting between institutions and across borders.

Some evaluations are quicker than other.

Some are flagged up early as they show that they have the potential to be nasty.

Further work -which takes time -is needed to find out what it will do.

In the meantime advice is prepared and given for medical agencies, planners, politicians, the public etc. to act on.

Previous inaction cost British lives.

The PCR test doesn't detect variants, I'm not aware that they are running different tests on random people.

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Yes that works but is it being done as standard with every PCR test, be a needle in a haystack if not.

No, not for every PCR test sample but for a proportion. I do not remember what the proportion was but it surprised me just how many samples they were looking at. I think the UK was doing something like half of all the World's SARS-CoV-2 sequencing at one point.

4 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

No, not for every PCR test sample but for a proportion. I do not remember what the proportion was but it surprised me just how many samples they were looking at. I think the UK was doing something like half of all the World's SARS-CoV-2 sequencing at one point.

24% according to some websites.

The Manaus variant, the Kent variant, the Delta variant, and now we've got the Omicron variant.

I note they are already starting to row back on some of these wild scaremongering headlines. But if Omicron does prove to be yet another over reaction will we accept what The Times said way back in March ? And, specifically, if it's all overblown yet again, why should we take any notice of these "experts" (Tom Peacock here) in future : "described by one scientist as "horrific","

The Times "Analysis" (1 Mar 21, p10) :
"Why should we not be too worried [about the Covid variants, incl the South African and Manaus variants] ?
One answer is that even if the vaccines don't stop infection they will provide strong protection against severe disease.
Never before have we had the tools to watch a virus evolve. This is a phenomenally powerful tool but
[it] can also cause unnecessary fear."

36 minutes ago, top4718 said:

He's the one that will have been paid off 🤣

oh yes of course.

tbh i thought he mightve actually resonated with you because hes said things that agree with your narrative and not wholly with mine, but because hes not wholly a "conspiracy theorist" hes "paid off" :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, butlers said:

Once rare, lung transplants for COVID-19 patients are rising quickly

https://flip.it/hNbCJs

It'll be an exaggerated scare. just like "Long Covid" :

People also suffer 'long flu', study shows

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58726775

People who have fallen ill with flu can suffer long-term symptoms in a similar way to long Covid, a study suggests.

The Oxford University research analysed health records of people diagnosed with flu and Covid, mainly in the US.

The two groups - both with just over 100,000 patients - included people seeking healthcare for symptoms three to six months after infection.

These included problems such as anxiety, abnormal breathing, fatigue and headaches.

There were signs that Covid patients were more likely to have long-term symptoms - 42% had at least one symptom recorded compared with 30% in the flu group.

OMG ! After all that scaremongering, is that really the best they can do ? : Covid can give 42% symptoms (however mild) whereas with Flu it's "only" 30%.
Certainly worth changing the whole of society to avoid, not.

But even that comparatively minor difference "could have been influenced by the fact that people may be more likely to seek care for long-term symptoms [for Covid] or the way symptoms are recorded for Covid."

Really ?

After all this obsessive publicity and scaremongering about Long Covid ?

Surely not.