Coronavirus - Part Two.

32 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Fair point; on reflection that is not accurate. I'd say the majority were extremely ill (diabetes, heart disease etc], very old, and, a fair number of them would have died in the near future either from their health conditions, their advanced age or, whatever infectious disease they got exposed to.

That’s what you’d say.

What do the medical profession say?

Or the stats, for that matter.

I’ll give you a while to peruse this and check out your “would have died anyway” hypothesis.

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static-reports/mortality-surveillance/excess-mortality-in-england-week-ending-04-Sep-2020.html

Edited by Pettytom

Just reading that Leeds is likely to face new restrictions from midnight in the fight against Covid-19, including a ban on households mixing, its city council leader has said.

I wonder how long it will be before it happens here in Sheffield as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/covid-19-leeds-to-face-new-lockdown-restrictions-from-midnight/ar-BB19pWcm?ocid=msedgntp

35 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Just reading that Leeds is likely to face new restrictions from midnight in the fight against Covid-19, including a ban on households mixing, its city council leader has said.

I wonder how long it will be before it happens here in Sheffield as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/covid-19-leeds-to-face-new-lockdown-restrictions-from-midnight/ar-BB19pWcm?ocid=msedgntp

I guess that will depend on how our infection rate looks compared to that of Leeds. I don't think geography alone is enough for one place to influence another.

Having said that, just like Leeds we are a large City with dense population and the addition of significant numbers of students which have recently flooded in.  

If we want to avoid it - let's just hope us Sheffield folk are more sensible and compliant to the rules than those up in West Yorkshire. 

10 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

You have my sympathies. I notice that all taxi drivers now also have to wear masks against their will. We live in crazy times :(

What do you mean by against their will?  Nobody's pointing a gun to their head.

They are doing a job. A job they get paid for. That will come with rules, licences and regulations that they have to abide by.

If they don't like it they have completely free will to leave and go find something else.

This is just another example of the sort of OTT emotive language being used on this thread which I was referencing earlier.   It completely eradicates any sensible, rational debate for either side of the argument when people start doing it.

This is supposed to be a serious subject which affects us all. Can we just quit with the constant exaggeration, misquoting, misinterpretation and over dramatic narrative. 

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

What do you mean by against their will?  Nobody's pointing a gun to their head.

I'm talking about the ones who don't want to wear the mask, many of who are supporting families and with few opportunities to move to a different job even in the best of times, which these certainly are not, as jobs are scarcer than ever, and, the new job would likely have mandetory masking anyway.