Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I doubt whether the report could could say it was the scheme that caused the increase? 

More likely the people travelling to & from the restaurants, not observing social distancing or lying abouts being in their particular 'bubbles' but out with others from different 'bubbles' or even chancing going out, when they should have been self-isolating? 

we're a small restaurant, only had one full year, so not that busy tbh, in that month we went from 2 - 8 people an evening to 40 - 50 every evening and booked up in advance, i dread to think how busy the bigger places were

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The Times are reporting tomorrow that Johnson is considering a national lockdown

And the Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8898985/Boris-Johnson-announce-national-coronavirus-lockdown-WEEK-save-Christmas.html

Presumably Boris will be wearing a Santa suit to make the announcement...................

Boris is being consitent in his "do what France does but the week after" approach to covid

Edited by Longcol

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And the Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8898985/Boris-Johnson-announce-national-coronavirus-lockdown-WEEK-save-Christmas.html

Presumably Boris will be wearing a Santa suit to make the announcement...................

Boris is being consitent in his "do what France does but the week after" approach to covid

Only last week Johnson was lambasting Starmer at PMQs for suggesting taking such an approach....

2 hours ago, redruby said:

Why has news of an impending lockdown been leaked to the Mail and the Times on a Friday night 🤔

Because that is how this government operates. Tell your cronies first so they can find opportunities to make money, then tell allied press so they stay on your side and only then tell the public you are meant to be serving. 

A full new lockdown is a complete nonsense, anybody who looks up the figures for the tier 3 cities sees that those measures work, just roll that out across the country and at least have the SMEs and self-employed that make up a huge proportion of the UK economy have half a chance of surviving this pandemic. 

8 hours ago, Mister M said:

Only last week Johnson was lambasting Starmer at PMQs for suggesting taking such an approach....

Saw that! Johnson is as confused as his restriction rules,  to be fair  even though Ive give him some stick in past I wouldn't want to be in his position,  as we all know he is trying to keep the economy going by way of the reginal lockdowns and a national lockdown will really mess the economy up,  so it is a dammed if you do or  don't situation.  either situation will only slow this virus down but not get rid of it,  we have just got to bare with it till a vaccine comes along, IMO. 

23 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Saw that! Johnson is as confused as his restriction rules,  to be fair  even though Ive give him some stick in past I wouldn't want to be in his position,  as we all know he is trying to keep the economy going by way of the reginal lockdowns and a national lockdown will really mess the economy up,  so it is a dammed if you do or  don't situation.  either situation will only slow this virus down but not get rid of it,  we have just got to bare with it till a vaccine comes along, IMO. 

I wonder how people on this Forum feel about having much stricter laws and enforcement regarding the breaking of Coronavirus rules.

Because although I've got huge criticism of this Government's handling of Coronavirus, ultimately they are reliant on individual citizens obeying some fairly simple rules regarding social distancing, mask wearing, and hygiene measures.

I listen to radio phone ins, and many people do have legitimate criticism of the Government, however if others are not complying with the rules, that makes the need for lockdowns all the more likely,

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I wonder how people on this Forum feel about having much stricter laws and enforcement regarding the breaking of Coronavirus rules.

Because although I've got huge criticism of this Government's handling of Coronavirus, ultimately they are reliant on individual citizens obeying some fairly simple rules regarding social distancing, mask wearing, and hygiene measures.

I listen to radio phone ins, and many people do have legitimate criticism of the Government, however if others are not complying with the rules, that makes the need for lockdowns all the more likely,

I agree,   If everyone complied with simple common sense rules we would be alot better off. 

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

Because that is how this government operates. Tell your cronies first so they can find opportunities to make money, then tell allied press so they stay on your side and only then tell the public you are meant to be serving. 

A full new lockdown is a complete nonsense, anybody who looks up the figures for the tier 3 cities sees that those measures work, just roll that out across the country and at least have the SMEs and self-employed that make up a huge proportion of the UK economy have half a chance of surviving this pandemic. 

Possibly, but I was reading something about this a few months ago. The article I read (I forget where) said something along the lines of big announcements tend to get leaked a few days in advance and the government uses those few days to gauge public reaction. If there is a major outcry then it was never their intention and the leaks were false, otherwise they are following public wishes. Totally smacks of the Cummings playbook.

Edited by whiteowl