Coronavirus - Part Two.

43 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

1. the govt has previously issued several statements saying it won't be mandatory "“There will be no compulsory vaccination, that’s not the way we do things in this country."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnson-says-covid-19-19333253

yet here they are about to have a debate on whether to restrict those who turn it down!

No they're not. They are debating a petition - the vote will be non binding.

The governments stated position has always been for vaccinations to be non compulsory.

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

No they're not. They are debating a petition - the vote will be non binding.

The governments stated position has always been for vaccinations to be non compulsory.

I'm unclear on the distinction you are making.

The governments current statement is- 

"There are currently no plans to place restrictions on those who refuse to have any potential Covid-19 vaccine."

For the reasons I listed previously, I believe the possibility of compulsory covid vaccinations, or complusion in the form of restrictions, is real. I'd advise those who concur to sign the petition, and, any other petition that calls for the covid vaccination not to be made compulsory, or complusion in the form of restrictions in the future.

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I'll be having my jab (or jabs, depending on when I qualify), but for those worried about mandatory / compulsory vaccinations, it's all a myth. 

Take time to have a good read of this link from legal professionals. 

https://www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk/coronavirus-legal-news-views/coronavirus-act-2020-does-it-permit-mandatory-vaccinations

While I oppose some of the changes made by the act in question, I am not, nor have I ever been, under the impression

"that changes to the Control of Disease Act 1984, which came into force on the 27th April 2020 regarding vaccines and Covid-19 medical treatment, mean that the Government has the power to force medication on you and that this means vaccines."

I see the possibility of compulsory covid vaccine coming from several other sources previously listed, NOT from the changes to the Control of Disease Act 1984 which the page you link to discusses.

Becky B

How long does it take for immunity to develop fully after vaccination?
The trial began assessing immunity seven days after the second shot. We know that protective immunity builds up within four weeks of the first dose, but Sahin says that it appears to develop earlier than that. Further details will be published in a matter of days, he says.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2261805-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine/#ixzz6fmUvnzci

OnewheelDave,

I've singned the Petition

El Cid

You make some strong points in thread 3038

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

I'm unclear on the distinction you are making.

The governments current statement is- 

"There are currently no plans to place restrictions on those who refuse to have any potential Covid-19 vaccine."

For the reasons I listed previously, I believe the possibility of compulsory covid vaccinations, or complusion in the form of restrictions, is real. I'd advise those who concur to sign the petition, and, any other petition that calls for the covid vaccination not to be made compulsory, or complusion in the form of restrictions in the future.

They are not " about to have a debate on whether to restrict those who turn it down".

They are debating a non binding petition that opposses restrictions on those who do not wish to be vaccinated.

Edited by Longcol

13 hours ago, Becky B said:

I think the second jab is supposed to be a booster (like you'd have for Hep B), but I haven't had chance to do much reading on it yet, after a 6 day stretch at work also trying to teach a student!

As I understand it you are protected a week after the second injection, however the jury is still out as to whether you can still pass on the virus I.e an asymptotic transmitter which is why you are advised to maintain social distancing measures after inoculation 

BioNTech cannot meet their planned 100 million doses production  target for

worldwide use by the end of 2020.The number has been dropped to 50 million, after some of the raw materials they received didn't meet standards.

Damn and double damn !

Where does that leave the UK in respect of its targets  for vaccination ?

Edited by petemcewan

11 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

BioNTech cannot meet their planned 100 million doses production  target for

worldwide use by the end of 2020.The number has been dropped to 50 million, after some of the raw materials they received didn't meet standards.

Damn and double damn !

Where does that leave the UK in respect of its targets  for vaccination ?

i'd say broadly on target 

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Hopefully there will be other vaccines that will be on the market in the new year.  The other day there was a doctor on TV talking about  the Oxford Vaccine, she  said it’s looking good. 

True, there is quite a few coming our way, 350 million of the Oxford Vaccine alone have been ordered according to Boris.