Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yes, yes I am.

And as I understand it the UK variant in Canada has come from the US where the UK is the dominant one.

I wonder if all the pressure we are putting on this virus has the potential to make it more dangerous than it is.

Guest makapaka
5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Is the "india" with 230k + new cases a day? The "india" that isn't on the red list so they can fly in without staying a quarantine hotel? The same "india" Boris is travelling to in The coming days to rush through a trade deal?

Yes. Yes it is that India. If this gets hold of the country and god forbid works round vaccines I'd happily see him and his cabinet jailed.

India’s population is 20x that of the Uk.

In December the uk recorded 80000 positive tests in one day.

the 230000 a day numbers in India sounds  concerning but aren’t they also relative to the number of people living there. 

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

the 230000 a day numbers in India sounds  concerning but aren’t they also relative to the number of people living there. 

It's certainly not good news though.

230,000 A DAY means lots of potential mutations. Viruses don't care about % populations. 

I still think everything is following the path of Spanish Flu myself (having watching some docus early on). They got complacent when it was thought to be pretty much under control.

My 'current' panic level is low, but I'm watching places like China, South Korea and Australia the most. If any of those lose control of it, with such knowledge, restrictions and tech to keep control... I will be very worried.

Edited by *_ash_*

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

It's certainly not good news though.

230,000 A DAY means lots of potential mutations. Viruses don't care about % populations. 

I still think everything is following the path of Spanish Flu myself (having watching some docus early on). They got complacent when it was thought to be pretty much under control.

My 'current' panic level is low, but I'm watching places like China, South Korea and Australia the most. If any of those lose control of it, with such knowledge, restrictions and tech to keep control... I will be very worried.

Not if you get a mutation that is less dangerous.

That would be good wouldn’t it.

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

They are  concerning when they've only done 266 million tests in total - ie just less than double the number of tests the UK has done -  for a population 20 times greater than the UK.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

16 hours ago, makapaka said:

How many are being tested in India in terms of percentage of the population? 

Guest makapaka
13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

How many are being tested in India in terms of percentage of the population? 

How targeted is the testing?

Guest sibon
46 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Could just be those who are turning up at hospital. I don't know.

This is probably not the most reliable of sources, but I’m watching quite a lot of the IPL at the moment. There is a huge push for the hands, face, space message on commentary and on screen.  There is no mention of getting tested.

Covid will always be with us and it will change over time as virus do. I had the virus in March 2020 just before the first lockdown was quite unwell with it. I do think vaccines will always be needed also research and testing will be needed well into the future we have accept the ' new reality ' and adjust the way we live. We need to start looking after our world not take it for granted and stop stripping the natural world to feed our endless consumer hunger keep doing that nature will hit back even harder the choice is in our hands