Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 minutes ago, butlers said:

There was an interview with ,great name,DrBrilliant on Raw Story today.

If I can find it will post.

He oversaw the eliminated of the smallpox virus and was there when the last victim in human history recovered.

It was about humans v virus and what lies ahead

Sounds interesting.

Guest sibon
3 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Can any of you tell me when Boris is officially going to tell us that Freedom Day has been cancelled we're going to spend the next few weeks remaining in lockdown until he's got all over 18's to have the jab?  I thought it was meant to be Monday, but I haven't hear it reported. 

The word is that he’s going to announce a delay to the June 21st date. Maybe a four week delay. 

The issue is a sudden and rapid rise in cases caused by the delta variant. They want to see if that rise translates into hospital admission and serious illness. If it does, we’re screwed. If not, we’re on the home straight.

Keep your fingers crossed, your mask on and your distance 

5 minutes ago, sibon said:

The issue is a sudden and rapid rise in cases caused by the delta variant.

The rise is not sudden, if you look at Our World in Data you will see the trend started weeks ago. Use a log scale.

I think the question of deaths and serious illness is more difficult. I certainly got it wrong (on here) a couple of weeks ago because it looked like a rise in hospital admissions was already nailed on. Well there has been a rise but it has not been explosive (yet).

I cannot see how there can fail to be a rise in deaths and hospitalizations but it is not really in the data yet.

Edited by Carbuncle

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

The rise is not sudden, if you look at Our World in Data you will see the trend started weeks ago. Use a log scale.

I think the question of deaths and serious illness is more difficult. I certainly got it wrong (on here) a couple of weeks ago because it looked like a rise in hospital admissions was already nailed on. Well there has been a rise but it has not been explosive (yet).

If you look at the figure for certain parts of the North West, I’d say it was both sudden and rapid.

I’m amazed by the regional variation though. Blackburn > 500 cases/100 000, Sheffield 35. 

Wild stuff. But, as you say, not leading to hospitalisation yet. 

Edited by sibon

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

If you look at the figure for certain parts of the North West, I’d say it was both sudden and rapid.

I’m amazed by the regional variation though. Blackburn > 500 cases/100 000, Sheffield 35. 

Wild stuff.

Ah ok ... fair enough.

Hang on though, Blackburn is only just over 100,000 people so you may be making the mistake I made and getting fooled by randomness.

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

The rise is not sudden, if you look at Our World in Data you will see the trend started weeks ago.

Oh, use a log scale.

I usually have quick glance at the Grauniad covid stats - but pretty sure infections were bumping along  at about 2.5k per day until a couple of weeks ago and have since risen to c. 8k a day. 

Slight uptick in hospitalisations - since the start of the virus  there has generally been a time lag of a week or two between infections and hospitalisations - and deaths kicking in a further two weeks down the line.

Hope that vaccinations have broken that - still concerned that major urban areas have the least vaccinations.