Coronavirus - Part Two.

Does anyone remember that one the reasons mask wearing was not recommended earlier in the year was that people would feel they would be ‘safe’ wearing one when in fact they only give (some limited) protection to others. Another reason is that incorrect mask use could worsen matters (think touching masks, wearing an unclean mask).
Well, I do think that is exactly what has happened with many people. They have attached too much importance to masks. Personally I don’t think it will be too much of an issue during the summer but once kids are back to school, people start spending more time indoors and perhaps public transport gets busier it may well be.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Does anyone remember that one the reasons mask wearing was not recommended earlier in the year was that people would feel they would be ‘safe’ wearing one when in fact they only give (some limited) protection to others. Another reason is that incorrect mask use could worsen matters (think touching masks, wearing an unclean mask).
Well, I do think that is exactly what has happened with many people. They have attached too much importance to masks. Personally I don’t think it will be too much of an issue during the summer but once kids are back to school, people start spending more time indoors and perhaps public transport gets busier it may well be.

Do you have any evidence that wearing a face covering could make matters worse?

I don't think it's the masks, per se, more the wearer. Observing people out and about I've noticed dirty masks, masks stuffed into pockets once people get off the tram, worn round the wrists. Then people constantly touching them, pulling them down to smoke, drink, eat, speak on their phones, speak to people face to face in supermarkets. I even saw one woman on tram pull her mask down to speak to someone 2 seats away, while at the same time fanning her face. Not trying to be judgemental just observations when out and about, I'm probably the world's worst for constantly adjusting my mask without thinking.

12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Any thoughts on how safe sanitiser dispensers are?

I mean, if someone has Covid on their hand and pushes the dispenser’s pump, would you be concerned if you were the next person to use that sanitiser?

No, because I wouldn't know and because I'm just about to sanitise my hands.

On 06/08/2020 at 21:31, Pettytom said:

Agreed. 

I’ve seen some startling simulations of the way that simply washing hands slows the spread of infection. I was just pointing out that the antimaskers are happy to accept other measures without question 

Social distancing is different though. Nobody seems to know the optimum distance. Equally, nobody questions it’s efficacy.

As a side note, I’d be interested in your view of hand sanitising, as a health professional. It seems to me that we risk a new generation of superbugs by repeatedly using alcohol gels in a slipshod way. 

Well sometimes sanitiser is the only way to clean your hands - it shouldn't be used often as a substitute for handwashing,  but is better than nothing.  It can be used as an extra to handwashing, as your hands should be free from visible dirt to use it effectively.  You should apply it in the way that is recommended for handwashing (i.e. the palm to palm then backs of hands between fingers, rotational rubbing round the thumb etc.  IIRC, it's only effective 3 or 4 times, then you should wash with soap and water.

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Do you have any evidence that wearing a face covering could make matters worse?

I haven't found a direct answer, but as the question is partly that incorrect use could make it worse, this may help answer.

From WHO:

Non-medical, fabric masks are being used by many people in public areas, but there has been limited evidence on their effectiveness and WHO does not recommend their widespread use among the public for control of COVID-19. However, for areas of widespread transmission, with limited capacity for implementing control measures and especially in settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre is not possible – such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments – WHO advises governments to encourage the general public to use non-medical fabric masks. (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks).

How many people do you see doing this correctly, and not just shoving it in a pocket, or pulling down under the chin?!

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Any thoughts on how safe sanitiser dispensers are?

I mean, if someone has Covid on their hand and pushes the dispenser’s pump, would you be concerned if you were the next person to use that sanitiser?

I am not even sure any more what actually can kill the virus as far as sanitisers are concerned.

The early information was that it required something like a 65% minimum alcohol content,and yet lap and water are deemed effective.

There are many personal and household cleansers advertised as killing 99% of household germs,but how effective are they.

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I am not even sure any more what actually can kill the virus as far as sanitisers are concerned.

The early information was that it required something like a 65% minimum alcohol content,and yet lap and water are deemed effective.

There are many personal and household cleansers advertised as killing 99% of household germs,but how effective are they.

In terms of hand washing, it is the soap that damages the outside of the virus. Just washing with water won’t do a lot of good, unless it dislodges the viral particles and sends them elsewhere 

Very interesting interview with Dr.Jarvis on R2 earlier, regarding long-lasting symptoms of the virus, and how it's affecting various different organs in many people.

Apparently it should no longer be viewed as a respiratory illness, but more likened to M.E.