Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, makapaka said:

They didn’t get 24 hour media coverage on cases / deaths - a global vaccination programme / or a constant monitoring of mutations to them though.

No.

Take a look at which countries they affected most.

5 minutes ago, sibon said:

Well, the ones most closely related to Covid are SARS and MERS which each lasted a few years. I suppose you could chuck in Spanish Flu as well, mostly because of transmission similarities.

I don't think SARS and MERS are good comparators. Each has only infected a few thousands and MERS is still out there.

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

You don't mean 'permanently, regardless of covid-19' though, do you?

welll, maybe permanently 

there would be benefits to reducing the availability of alcohol over and above anything related to covid. 

there certainly needs to be something better than we had to prevent the spread of novel and not so novel infections. it's hard not to see quarantine not being a part of that in some circumstances. 

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I don't think SARS and MERS are good comparators. Each has only infected a few thousands and MERS is still out there.

I disagree. They are both similar in many ways to Covid.

2 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

there certainly needs to be something better than we had to prevent the spread of novel and not so novel infections. it's hard not to see quarantine not being a part of that in some circumstances. 

Ah, so you are interpreting the survey question as meaning travel quarantine would be available were the UK threatened with an emerging infection threat.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

I disagree. They are both similar in many ways to Covid.

Well, all three are beta coronaviruses but the dynamics are completely different and the strategy to defeat them was too.

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

They didn’t get 24 hour media coverage on cases / deaths - a global vaccination programme / or a constant monitoring of mutations to them though.

Would've been kind of hard back in the days of Spanish flu ....................................................

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, sibon said:

As for the crazy notion that we will be suppressed forever by a power hungry government, there is a GE in three years. Use your vote wisely.

I don’t think it’s crazy to assume a government -particularly this one - is gaining some advantage from this - certainly in terms of burying bad news.

also it doesn’t just have to be the government that actively prevents us living a “normal” life - we can also do that to ourselves as a consequence of the government and media largely.

There’s no plausible end to it - when does it stop?

also why would this be in 2-3 years - what will have changed then?

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

I don’t think it’s crazy to assume a government -particularly this one - is gaining some advantage from this - certainly in terms of burying bad news.

also it doesn’t just have to be the government that actively prevents us living a “normal” life - we can also do that to ourselves as a consequence of the government and media largely.

They'll just lie about any bad news. 

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, makapaka said:

They are all good questions.

I’m not sure that our current government are gaining much by restricting freedom. If anything, it is probably driving some of their core support away. This is the bunch who thought that letting it rip was a good plan.  Maybe I’m underestimating them, if that’s possible.

As for what will change, I don’t know. I can see that lots has changed since last year, both in terms of freedoms and in terms of human behaviour. I’m hoping that the vaccine, coupled with natural infection will eventually win out. Thats a reasonable assumption, isn’t it? 

I can see your “freedoms” being restored quite quickly. They might come with a few caveats for a while, but that will pass too. Pubs, bars, theatres, transport links, travel, they’ll all be back soon enough.

Of more importance is how we repair the damage caused to the health and education services. In the middle of all of this, we have a generation of youngsters with a huge hole in their education. That’s going to be harder to fix than anything.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Well if that's the case, we should  get on and live with this one too. 

I think that’s what we are starting to do.