Coronavirus - Part Two.

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

West Yorkshire Mayor, Tracy Brabin, has declared that face coverings will still be a mandatory requirement, (medical exemptions accepted), after July 19th in all West Yorkshire, indoor bus stations / transport hubs. 

Wonder what Dan Jarvis or SCC will suggest?  

in any case its all unenforceable. Just uttering two words absolves all sins.

Latest announcement from our "esteemed" PM: Online racists to be banned from football.

Does that mean he himself will be banned - on public record jibing at Moslem women looking like "letterboxes" and black people as "watermelons with piccaninny smiles."

What a hypocritical joke he is.  As are the government sychophants who support him.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

My understanding of the law is that shopkeepers do not have to serve people if they do not want to unless they are discriminating by race, creed, sex, or disability.  They surely would be free to decide to say all must wear masks so long as they demanded some form of documentation to prove exemption on health grounds. 

But there is no legal requirement even at the moment to prove you are exempt or any standard way of proving it. At the moment anybody can download a simple template to print out which just states you are exempt. Asking for any full documentation to prove this would I have though be unlawful. 

On the government site on face coverings it states this:

"Carrying an exemption card or badge is a personal choice and is not required by law."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

That I reckon would save them from charges of discrimination on the grounds of disability.

But that now gets into the realms of actually proving a disability which there is no requirement to do.

It's a bit different with transport or its infrastructure such as stations, buildings, platforms as those are usually regulated by by-laws which can easily be changed to suit. Although the above on just printing out a badge still stands.

Guest sibon

I can’t be bothered to quote all the stuff up there^^*, but it is just as possible to invent reasons for not serving someone as it is for that person to invent an exemption.

I think you’ll see lots of people refused service for other reasons, such as rudeness, aggression, abuse of staff etc. The fact that they are also refusing to wear a mask will, of course, be coincidental.

Of course everyone’s life would be easier if the non-exempt stopped piggy backing on the genuine problems experienced by a few people.

5 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I personally know several people who really dislike the masks...

Some people actually like wearing them?!

I can't wait to get rid of mine, but I'll not be doing so for a good while yet, methinks.

I dislike the idea that the way to think about those who choose to not wear masks and their possible exclusion from premises is all about whether one law or another is actually enforceable.

I do not know how a judge would rule but I do not believe that the law creates an absolute right for a disabled person to avoid all discrimination. Like many so called rights I think this right has to contend with all the other so called rights such as freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, enjoyment of property, and so forth and compromises inevitably have to be made. In this particular instance, there is a clash between disability rights and duty of care to provide a safe environment. Whilst I do not believe a shop, bus or train should exclude somebody they know to be disabled I suspect they can exclude somebody where they genuinely suspect a false claim of disability as a way of avoiding a safety measure.

In other areas, I note that actual disability does not give the right to park in a disabled parking spot rather a blue badge has to have been obtained. Nor does actual disability mean 'disability benefit' will be paid rather the whole process of claiming has to be gone through and the disability proved.

5 minutes ago, sibon said:

I can’t be bothered to quote all the stuff up there^^*, but it is just as possible to invent reasons for not serving someone as it is for that person to invent an exemption.

I think you’ll see lots of people refused service for other reasons, such as rudeness, aggression, abuse of staff etc. The fact that they are also refusing to wear a mask will, of course, be coincidental.

Of course everyone’s life would be easier if the non-exempt stopped piggy backing on the genuine problems experienced by a few people.

Me bold. 

How and why would it be easier? Thankfully the 19th is not that far away now so it's not going to be a problem after that for most of those shopping especially as most big supermarkets are now going over to mainly self service checkouts. In anycase why would supermarkets and big retailers want to invent reasons as all they want is you business?

Went to ASDA today to do some shopping for someone who is isolating and genuinely forgot to put my mask on. On leaving I realised the error and said to the security person at the door.. "I just realised that I didn't put my mask on." She just laughed and said "well it too late now"....

22 minutes ago, sibon said:

And that's OK, if the person was actually being rude. It is not OK if there was no rudeness and the server is lying about it and the real reason was the mask.

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

And that's OK, if the person was actually being rude. It is not OK if there was no rudeness and the server is lying about it and the real reason was the mask.

I know it’s ok, but thanks for your validation.

It is equally not ok for people to lie about mask exemption.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

A few?