Coronavirus - Part Two.

23 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

And another negative of lockdowns-

'

Prof Paul Hunter, from the Norwich School of Medicine at the University of East Anglia, said the increase of cases of norovirus in children "almost certainly" reflected reduced immunity to this infection as a result of not being exposed to it as the country locked down for Covid.

"We have already started to see cases rising for some of the other respiratory viruses and this reminds us that as we come out of lockdown we are likely to start seeing many other infections rising that may cause problems for public health and the NHS.

"Doctors in new Zealand have coined the phrase 'immunity debt' to describe this phenomenon.'

[from the quoted link]

So the sooner we get people vaccinated, wearing masks to protect each other and prevent hospitalisations due to Covid the sooner we can get on with dealing with the backlog of other cases / ave the resources to deal with other cases that will arise.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

So the sooner we get people vaccinated, wearing masks to protect each other and prevent hospitalisations due to Covid the sooner we can get on with dealing with the backlog of other cases / ave the resources to deal with other cases that will arise.

Albeit it at the cost of increasing the 'immunity debt' further :(

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I wonder if.........

I've never suffered from Hay Fever or had any problem around grass, but twice recently I've cut a relative's lawn, and on both occasions I've had sneezing and coughing fits, and a runny nose.  All symptoms go as soon as I am on my way home.

Surely in my later years I've not contracted Hay Fever?  If so, could it be due to the lockdown, and will it disappear IF we stay out of lockdown and things get better?

Could be just age- autoimmune issues often arise with increasing age- I've never had hay fever but over the past few years am getting a lot of eye irritation especially in summer.

14 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Albeit it at the cost of increasing the 'immunity debt' further

Having no flu season last Winter will have saved quite a few lives even if it fueled the immunity debt as you call it.

Edited by Carbuncle

13 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Albeit it at the cost of increasing the 'immunity debt' further :(

Hospitals have got to react to  what comes through the door.

Let's try to stop more covid cases coming through the door by getting vaccinated and wearing masks for mutual protection (indoors eg supermarkets or outdoors eg packed stadia ).

Edited by Longcol

Hospitals have got to got to react to  what comes through the door.

Let's try to stop more covid cases coming through the door by getting vaccinated and wearing masks for mutual protection (indoors eg supermarkets or outdoors eg packed stadia) to stop more covid coming through the door

Just supposing the covid never stops coming- that is possible, constant new variations, some immune to the vaccine. If that happens, would you want to keep the masks and lockdowns going for ever?

3 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Just supposing the covid never stops coming- that is possible, constant new variations, some immune to the vaccine. If that happens, would you want to keep the masks and lockdowns going for ever?

What if we have a plague of frogs?

Guest makapaka
33 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I wonder if.........

I've never suffered from Hay Fever or had any problem around grass, but twice recently I've cut a relative's lawn, and on both occasions I've had sneezing and coughing fits, and a runny nose.  All symptoms go as soon as I am on my way home.

Surely in my later years I've not contracted Hay Fever?  If so, could it be due to the lockdown, and will it disappear IF we stay out of lockdown and things get better?

No-exact same happened to me pre Covid. It can come on in later years.

Guest sibon
3 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Just supposing that we could carry on for a while yet, with face coverings and the current vaccines. Just supposing that those measures kept this thing under control. Just supposing that bought time to research a treatment for this terrible thing.

Would you still support attempts to undermine that?

Just now, onewheeldave said:

If that's what it takes to stop public health resources being overwhelmed am happy to wear a mask and socially distance were appropriate - like we've done since March last year.

And of course take new vaccines developed to manage new variations.

What do you propose - the human race being wiped out?

3 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

What if we have a plague of frogs?

Evading the question.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Just supposing that we could carry on for a while yet, with face coverings and the current vaccines. Just supposing that those measures kept this thing under control. Just supposing that bought time to research a treatment for this terrible thing.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Answer my question, then I'll tackle yours

8 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

If that's what it takes to stop public health resources being overwhelmed am happy to wear a mask and socially distance were appropriate - like we've done since March last year.

And of course take new vaccines developed to manage new variations.

So you would keep the lockdowns and masking going for ever. I'm surprised.