Coronavirus - Part Two.

Has anyone actually bothered to ask the question WHY there are no tests available and WHY there are all these backlogs?

I'm seeing lots of heated opinion, finger pointing and blame game but nobody actually giving the facts as to what exactly the problem is and how exactly it can be resolved.  

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Has anyone actually bothered to ask the question WHY there are no tests available and WHY there are all these backlogs?

I'm seeing lots of heated opinion, finger pointing and blame game but nobody actually giving the facts as to what exactly the problem is and how exactly it can be resolved.  

I think Nicola sturgeon has but I'm not sure she's got much in the way of answers.

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

You’d think that a responsible Health Secretary would explain that to the public. Wouldn’t you?

Part if the problem is that the University staff who have been running the labs have now returned to their proper jobs. But nobody thought to plan for that.

I’d imagine that there are other factors too, but the silence is deafening.

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Not enough kits?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54161353

Not enough places doing the testing?

Not enough health labs, technicians behind the scenes doing the testing?

We haven't been told officially why ,So these are my guesses

I have also seen this on facebook so you tell me if its true

Scientists’ spokesman Professor Alan McNally says labs are fully staffed and not responsible for the testing shortages and ‘there must be issues no-one wants to tell us about’.

If you hand testing contracts to Tory donor accountancy firms instead of medical practitioners of course there will be ‘issues’!

Edited by melthebell

35 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And now they've closed a testing centre so it can be turned into a post-brexit lorry park.

Go home 2020, you're drunk. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-54158100

But... Planning permission was originally granted in 2019 for it to be used as a post-brexit lorry park. It then was used as a temporary base for Covid testing. It then closed for Covid testing to get back on track for that post-brexit lorry park and another centre was opened in Rochester to take its place. Cant see much there to worry about!

Just now, apelike said:

But... Planning permission was originally granted in 2019 for it to be used as a post-brexit lorry park. It then was used as a temporary base for Covid testing. It then closed for Covid testing to get back on track for that post-brexit lorry park and another centre was opened in Rochester to take its place. Cant see much there to worry about!

Apart from the obvious question (which really belongs on another thread) as to why we need post-brexit lorry parks?

Back on subject - even Hancock is now admitting there are problems that may take weeks to resolve;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/15/matt-hancock-says-covid-testing-crisis-may-last-weeks-as-uk-hospitals-plug-gaps

Odd that there was all the talk of a second wave but nobody thought to substantially  increase testing capacity in advance of returns to work / school / pubs re-opening etc etc.

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

Odd that there was all the talk of a second wave but nobody thought to substantially  increase testing capacity in advance of returns to work / school / pubs re-opening etc etc.

Why, do you think that testing somehow stops a second wave happening or lessens the way people get infected.?

On Monday morning, a work colleague - who happens to be diabetic - received a call from someone he'd met in a different office three days earlier, advising that he'd since felt unwell and was attempting to get a covid test.

He'd done the "decent" thing, ringing everyone he'd had contact with since Friday.

My work colleague took the rest of Monday off, but after contacting his HR department and his personal GP for guidance, turned up for work on Tuesday.

Whether the original informant has managed to get tested since, I don't know. Even if he has, it's unlikely the results will be known yet.

Surely the advice from HR and the GP is wrong?