Revised On Street Parking Charges

Another interesting point in the Barnsley study was that 66% of the retailers interviewed travelled to work by car.

Retailers and customers were also asked what they though the council's highest spending / investment priority ought to be in the town centre:

Retailers - 67% free parking,  23% making shopping area more attractive

Shoppers: 20% free parking, 50% making shopping area more attractive

It seems most car users don't use their cars to come to town. They are making  choices and using alternatives. It is these people we need to listen to not a few noisy drivers and associated vested interests who continue the myth that car is all important to the survival of retailing and everything else.

In the next few years it will be interesting to decode the response to Covid 19 in our Malls and City Centres combined with the change in commercial/residential balance in our City Centres. 

Of course much depends on how these surveys are conducted and the questions used. I am not sure why Graz has been selected here

Every day I walk to my local shop to get my paper and these Covid days once a week I get in my car to do my grocery shopping  (and if I were wanting anything else other than my paper I would get in the car)  so ask me about my last trip to the shops and the answer is very likely to be walk.

I have not visited Sheffield city center since lock down eased (or during lockdown)

On 08/08/2020 at 11:06, busdriver1 said:

Out of town shopping is available in or near most decent sized cities now. Sheffield is not alone in having a meadowhall type venue on its doorstep. Bristol for example is a large vibrant shopping centre and despite having Cribbs Causeway only a few miles away is flourishing. Yes people cycle to both but they also use cars, public transport and walk from town centre dwellings. Bristol is much flatter than Sheffield hence the uptake of cycling and with a vastly more attractive City Centre will never struggle to get patrons though the doors.

Honestly. look at Bristol City Centre and Look at Sheffield city centre and then tell me it is a worthy comparison.

Yes Bristol seems have got it right with a Mall type experience in the centre in the form of  Cabot Square and plenty of things to attract the visitor.

Because Cribbs Causeway is not in Bristol the  City saw the threat early and has provide very little support for public transport and in the face of loosing  money it and encourage development of in the centre.

Bristol is as hilly as Sheffield but with the much wider roads  and an awful and expensive bus service, encouraging cycling.  

Cribbs Causeway is very attractive proposition to the very large but spread out population of South West England.

Cities Centres must offer something different -Bristol does and Sheffield needs to.

Guest busdriver1

Bristol's bus service is very good compared with Sheffield's.  No the fares are not cheap but they are sustainable, this allows and encourages the operator to invest in the area, as they are doing. 

Bristols buses are well used and offer a comprehensive service late into the evening.

Cribbs causeway is 4 1/2 mike's from the city. Comparable to the distance of meadowhall and Sheffield.  The drawing area of cribbs causeway includes Bristol as well as other towns as the free parking is attractive but the city centre parking in Bristol is not ridiculously priced.  Bristol has a university like Sheffield with all the pros and cons of that. 

A major difference is that Bristol has a real tourist appeal and is not just close to one. 

20 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Every day I walk to my local shop to get my paper and these Covid days once a week I get in my car to do my grocery shopping  (and if I were wanting anything else other than my paper I would get in the car)  so ask me about my last trip to the shops and the answer is very likely to be walk.

You can easily sway a survey with the questions you ask and the answer options you give. 

Edited by busdriver1

44 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

You can easily sway a survey with the questions you ask and the answer options you give. 

Yes, but there isn’t much scope for that when you are asking a simple question like how did you get here today and the potential responses are:

1. Car
  2. Bus
  3. Train
  4. Cycle
  5. Walk
  6. Other

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Yes, but there isn’t much scope for that when you are asking a simple question like how did you get here today and the potential responses are:

1. Car
  2. Bus
  3. Train
  4. Cycle
  5. Walk
  6. Other

how naive

depends on where "here" is for example interview near Waitrose or The Moor and less people might say other (tram) than interviewing by M&S or Argos near the old market

also lets say we are talking about Sheffield city center then someone may have driven into work and then walked from their office to "here" interview in the lunch hour could easily distort data

11 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

how naive

depends on where "here" is for example interview near Waitrose or The Moor and less people might say other (tram) than interviewing by M&S or Argos near the old market

also lets say we are talking about Sheffield city center then someone may have driven into work and then walked from their office to "here" interview in the lunch hour could easily distort data

Yeah, yeah. You don’t like / don’t believe the results so you try to trash the methodology. 

There are other questions asked too, like how far the interviewee has travelled to the shops, how many shops they are visiting etc.

Try to rubbish it any way you like, but when three separate studies in different places show the same thing, it is rather difficult to ignore the findings. 

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

how naive

Dont start hitting them with common sense, you know its a foreign language to some and a tool to be disregarded by others who dont get the results they want.

I have seen this sort of survey before. the results came back in a way that did not please so the questions were "adjusted" and hey presto, the required results were gained. 

Edited by busdriver1