Revised On Street Parking Charges

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

I notice that there has been no justification of the above inflation increase in the costs.

Perhaps that's because there isn't one.

Can anyone tell me when the public announcement of this increase was posted - was it yet another stealth activity by those charlatans in the SCC?

Did they do it during lockdown when people were obviously focused on other things - like living?

I haven’t seen any announcement.

It does tie in nicely with the efforts to get more people walking and cycling though

59 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

It is really just a seasonal gesture of goodwill. If the party in power say they aren’t doing free parking, the opposition call them “Scrooge’s” across the Council chamber.

Doesn’t make any difference to visitor numbers, it’s just a Political gesture.

Not what the council claim - they claim it is to support the retailers

“Through our free parking initiative we hope to support Sheffield’s retailers in making the city centre a great place for families to visit during this magical festive period.”

You aren't suggesting that the SCC are lying are you?

So you haven't seen any announcement - seems like it was yet another piece of bad news flown in under the radar during lockdown - SCC stay true to their colours.

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

How many people has that actually happened to in Sheffield city centre?

How many is acceptable?

Guest busdriver1
4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

None of course but that’s not to say it doesn’t happen.

Has this actually happened to you?

I would not think of Sheffield as being unsafe.

Yes it has happened to me and the solution by the powers that be was to rehouse ME,  the perpetrators got nothing. THAT makes me think of Sheffield as unsafe and the response by the powers that be confirmed that, as they dealt with it as a very matter of fact everyday occurrence.

Edited by busdriver1

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

Not what the council claim - they claim it is to support the retailers

“Through our free parking initiative we hope to support Sheffield’s retailers in making the city centre a great place for families to visit during this magical festive period.”

You aren't suggesting that the SCC are lying are you?

So you haven't seen any announcement - seems like it was yet another piece of bad news flown in under the radar during lockdown - SCC stay true to their colours.

Well of course they will put a positive spin on it. Sounds better than “ We’re making the same meaningless political gesture we make every year so we don’t get slagged off for not doing it”.

What do you expect? It’s politics.

On 24/07/2020 at 13:03, Planner1 said:

£2.60 per hour when I parked today in central zone. Still compares favourably with Leeds at equivalent of £3.30/hr or Manchester at £3/hr.

Do we really think  anyone who is coming to town to spend a reasonable amount of money is going to be put of by paying a few pence extra to park?

What kind of deluded world must people live in if their justification for the price hike in Sheffield is that it still compares favourably to Manchester or Leeds. I've worked & shopped in the latter two for many years and now work in Sheffield. Let me tell you that comparison is so ridiculous it's untrue.

Sheffield city centre is dying and dying fast. The council needs to breathe life into it and the one way NOT to do that is to almost double parking prices! I used to go occasionally, now i won't bother.  Not paying those extortionate prices just to visit one or two decent shops.

i thought extending the paid parking hours to 20.30 was the final nail in the coffin, but SCC have outdone themselves again.

1 hour ago, arrowhead said:

Sheffield city centre is dying and dying fast. The council needs to breathe life into it and the one way NOT to do that is to almost double parking prices!

A 30% increase is not “almost double”.