700 Homes For Attercliffe Waterside. (UPDATE: Revised plans at Council)

26 minutes ago, Hopman said:

The waterway is the canal, not the river.

Canals are a lower flood risk than a river but they can overflow & cause flooding problems.  Insurance companies would want to know how close a property is to a source of water, regardless of the type of water course, to assess whether cover is feasible. 

As far as insurance companies are concerned, the closer you are to water, the more your premiums will be. 

Canals will just keep over flowing their lock gates until they reach the destination they were built for , in Sheffield that will mean the river Trent at Keadby . no problems at all . Or the lock keeper can just keep opening the gates and paddles , this will also drain the waterways very quickly.

Edited by Parkside

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

Canals will just keep over flowing their lock gates until they reach the destination they were built for , in Sheffield that will mean the river Trent at Keadby . no problems at all . Or the lock keeper can just keep opening the gates and paddles , this will also drain the waterways very quickly.

Sheffield to Rotherham canal burst its banks last year, several feet above its normal level, judging by the height of the plastic waste left behind in bushes.

7 hours ago, Be My Bubble said:

Looks like we have goldfish for planners. Building next to rivers a few centuries ago was a good thing, now its the complete reverse. Should be be building anything within a kilometre of a waterway?

There are plenty of places a kilometer from the Don that are over a hundred feet or more above the river - ditto all the other rivers in Sheffield. 

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Sheffield to Rotherham canal burst its banks last year, several feet above its normal level, judging by the height of the plastic waste left behind in bushes.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The Don burst its bank , The Don and canal are combined by river locks in sections , I have been a  lock keeper on the section at one time . As I said if you open all the gates or sluces then the canal will drain dry and cannot over flow .

7 hours ago, Parkside said:

The Don burst its bank , The Don and canal are combined by river locks in sections , I have been a  lock keeper on the section at one time . As I said if you open all the gates or sluces then the canal will drain dry and cannot over flow .

If the Don was in flood, where would the canal water drain to?

Looking at the map, the section from the canal basin runs as far as the Don at Blackburn Meadows, then the canal starts again a few hundred yards downstream and then runs as far as the Don in Rotherham.