700 Homes For Attercliffe Waterside. (UPDATE: Revised plans at Council)

Or, could they be trying to recreate living by The Nile, with real crocodiles and everything?   Sorry for the sarcasm, but my cynicism creeps in sometimes when SCC and  projects are mentioned. 

I must say,  Im with Findlay on this one. Building too close to any water course these days is asking for trouble.

10 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

Or, could they be trying to recreate living by The Nile, with real crocodiles and everything?   Sorry for the sarcasm, but my cynicism creeps in sometimes when SCC and  projects are mentioned. 

I must say,  Im with Findlay on this one. Building too close to any water course these days is asking for trouble.

My first thought is rats!

19 hours ago, Findlay said:

I'm all for the development of an Attercliffe business corridor from the City centre to the motorway but it is also the route of the River Don which is flooding the area more often due to the building upstream with flood defences in Hillsborough that speed up the flow of water rather than reduce it.
I would personally like a ban on a building within a kilometre of a river or being 10 metres above water level for residential purposes which is in stark contrast to our history of building along rivers for water supplies with this being no longer necessary.

I would like to see a mile wide corridor of rewilded nature along riversides that would naturally soak up the water and slow down erosion of river banks and protect towns further down the river which have been hit hard recently.

Of course we would have to build bridges that span the width to high land at least 10 metres above water level to make sure that new homes are flood proof.
The riverside corridors would allow nature to move freely with trails for walkers and riders. Before you say, I know canals hardly flood with the water level being managed.

What baffles me about building in flood areas is ,Why not build the houses higher with garages or storage areas on the ground floor level ,  Any flooding would do little harm to those areas . 

18 hours ago, Resident said:

Under Section 106 developers are obliged in law to build 'affordable' homes as part of any housing development of 11 houses or more. 

They are not social houses , And are still not affordable to millions 

5 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

My first thought is rats!

You don't have rats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! near you .

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

What baffles me about building in flood areas is ,Why not build the houses higher with garages or storage areas on the ground floor level ,  Any flooding would do little harm to those areas . 

They are not social houses , And are still not affordable to millions 

You don't have rats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! near you .

We need more local authority houses, built by their own team of workers, and let out at an affordable rent. This should have happened years ago when people started buying their council houses, but they were never replaced with new stock.

It's the only way to ensure everyone has a roof over their head

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We need more local authority houses, built by their own team of workers, and let out at an affordable rent. This should have happened years ago when people started buying their council houses, but they were never replaced with new stock.

It's the only way to ensure everyone has a roof over their head

Agree on the need for more local authority houses, should never have been sold in the first place.

Would rather see them built by private developers for local authorities, to tightly managed costs and programmes, rather than local authorities spending millions setting up works depts again, along with the required management and procurement functions.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Agree on the need for more local authority houses, should never have been sold in the first place.

Would rather see them built by private developers for local authorities, to tightly managed costs and programmes, rather than local authorities spending millions setting up works depts again, along with the required management and procurement functions.

This is the problem. It's never going to happen. Builders are out to make the greatest profit, which is why they want to build expensive housing with a bigger margin. Planning often requires housing to be 'affordable' but the builders  get round this  by building one cheaper home  amongst many expensive ones as part of the project thus fullfilling their obligation.  

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

This is the problem. It's never going to happen. Builders are out to make the greatest profit, which is why they want to build expensive housing with a bigger margin. Planning often requires housing to be 'affordable' but the builders  get round this  by building one cheaper home  amongst many expensive ones as part of the project thus fullfilling their obligation.  

Or the LA place a contract on a builder to build the houses for them.

• Like 1

Sheffield council are a bunch of idiots, I recently put planning in for a food cafe/restaurant converted container on my own private land and was refused due to the Anti social behaviour in a car park nearby that usually happens after midnight at a time when it wouldn’t be opening which is an absolute load of ******. The police objection was 7 days after the deadline and neither the police or planning officer get in touch when I emailed them to discuss any concerns.

Im appealing the decision but the council is bent and the police turn a blind eye to the brothel that is 5 metres away from my land but object to a legitimate business idea.

• Like 2