South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

12 hours ago, RollingJ said:

As I've said before, this is likely because they are impatient, and don't wait until the machine is ready/has completed the transaction - I've been behind them and noticed this on many occasions.

Sure but I have also seen problems with payments that are not due to this, and it’s not uncommon.  
I think there’s a tendency where there’s a problem with user error to lump all problems into that category and disregard the real ones.  It happens in a lot of situations and it delays real issues getting fixed.

10 minutes ago, redruby said:

Me too but to fair I wouldn’t want to do it.  As I’ve said before, other countries manage to have systems where people have buy tickets before getting on a bus.  And often better signage.  It makes everything easier all round.

From what I see, the vast majority of passengers have passes of some kind which scan fairly quickly.

2 minutes ago, redruby said:

Sure but I have also seen problems with payments that are not due to this, and it’s not uncommon.  
I think there’s a tendency where there’s a problem with user error to lump all problems into that category and disregard the real ones.  It happens in a lot of situations and it delays real issues getting fixed.

What are these 'real' problems?

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

No signal

Chip error

No money in the bank and trying it on

Point 1 - extremely unlikely in an urban area.

Point 2 - how often? and it would affect all transactions and again, how often would this be?

Point 3 - then they don't travel.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Point 1 - extremely unlikely in an urban area.

Point 2 - how often? and it would affect all transactions and again, how often would this be?

Point 3 - then they don't travel.

Buses are mobile, they don't just stay in urban areas. They travel through Stanage Edge and the Hope Valley which has a plethora of blackspots. 

Cards fail all of the time, as me and @RedRuby have pointed out.

Yes, they should not travel. They should be advised of the nearest cash machine and told to get the following service and pay with proper money.

Guest busdriver1
20 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Buses are mobile, they don't just stay in urban areas. They travel through Stanage Edge and the Hope Valley which has a plethora of blackspots. 

I believe there is a facility where the transaction can still take place and the records are transferred when access to the network is gained. I do know that tickets are still sold in black spot areas.

6 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Cards fail all of the time, as me and @RedRuby have pointed out.

Yes, they should not travel. They should be advised of the nearest cash machine and told to get the following service and pay with proper money.

As with trains, neither you or the bus 'needs' to have a 'signal', to make a transaction. Think 'Oyster' usage in the underground or the trolley or the guard getting money off you in the Hope Valley.  Same with Stanage Edge and Totley Tunnel.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

How does "Irene" think that card payments at bloody 37k feet in the sky are authorised? 

Silly "Irene". 

Must not have done that module on her business diploma

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

'Oyster' usage in the underground or the trolley or the guard getting money off you in the Hope Valley.  

I have been in charge of said trolley through the Hope Valley and we used to always struggle with taking card payments. Never any problems with cash.

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

How does "Irene" think that card payments at bloody 37k feet in the sky are authorised? 

Silly "Irene". 

From what I understand about those devices, payment isn't actually taken there and then. The card details are logged on to the device and payment is taken once the plane has landed. 

Silly "HHR".