South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

17 minutes ago, fools said:

what a lovely turn of phrase you have.

keep stroking that screen.

Intelligent people question - watch the gadget show, a constant stream of pointless tat that makes life more complicated..

Yeah yeah.   You keep banging that drum, while sat there on an internet forum by means of a computer or smartphone 🙄

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah yeah.   You keep banging that drum, while sat there on an internet forum by means of a computer or smartphone 🙄

I know you like to off on tangents for a rant .. I only mentioned smartphones.

day return to scarborough please, far faster than faffing about on the internet, wandering through an endless maze of options, and then still having to fart about to collect it from a ticket machine/

writing a cheque for £20 for the workman is far faster than farting about trying to do an internet transfer

shoving a pound coin in a parking meter is far easier than faffing about installing whatever app you need, or calling a robot.

computers have simplified some things, and made others far more complicated. try doing a weekly shopon a self service till, takes ages, and you get a threatening camera in your face

as for word processing and email, it's just added to the pointless crap humans do.

Edited by fools
  • Like 2

I do my weekly shop by taking one of the hand held things and scanning everything as I go round, can pack it as I go, and then you just scan one barcode at the till and you pay.  Easier than lugging everything out the trolley to just put it back in the other end. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Do you want to go back to those days of getting your wage in a little brown envelope, 

Yes I do,

Nothing better than queuing for that bulging wage packet, stuffed with cash...

Then going down to the staff canteen and losing the lot at 3 card brag...

Try explaining that to the wife.....

Cunning and stealth was required, exciting days........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fools said:

I know you like to off on tangents for a rant .. I only mentioned smartphones.

day return to scarborough please, far faster than faffing about on the internet, wandering through an endless maze of options, and then still having to fart about to collect it from a ticket machine/

Except for the fact that I can book my train tickets from the comfort of my own sofa at 3:00 in the morning if I want to,  have it sent straight  to my phone and never have to go near a ticket office or collect my ticket beforehand.

writing a cheque for £20 for the workman is far faster than farting about trying to do an internet transfer

Again, overlooking the fact that you would need to be physically there to hand over a physical cheque to your workman, window cleaner,  milkman or whatever the case may be.  Whereas I could quickly get their bank details press a few buttons on my bank app and ping the money to them without having to see them in the flesh. Which makes it more convenient if I am working out of town or busy doing something else.

shoving a pound coin in a parking meter is far easier than faffing about installing whatever app you need, or calling a robot.

Or you could do what I do in my car park and simply take a ticket on entry and pay contactless with your card at the exit barrier without even having to get out your seat.  You could perhaps use an season ticket or book parking in advance, which means the car park will have your reg number and you don't need to do anything on enter or exit.

computers have simplified some things, and made others far more complicated. try doing a weekly shopon a self service till, takes ages, and you get a threatening camera in your face

I do frequently.  Far more convenient and I don't have to stand behind some ditherer yacking away to Doris on the checkout whilst packing one item in their carrier every five minutes.   Or, as someone else mentioned, you can use one of the many scan and pack options so you don't even need to do any loading or unloading during checkout process at all.

As for the camera in my face, I don't find that any more intrusive than my own mirror. I know what I look like.  Given that any business is going to protect its assets by having some form of observation, security or other theft monitoring, what exactly is the issue. Is it any worse than the checkout operator looking you up and down, taking a peak into and under your trolley. It certainly happens. In fact staff are trained to do just that - so what difference does it make?   Sounds to me like you are declaring some of that 'paranoid' behaviour I mention

as for word processing and email, it's just added to the pointless crap humans do.

Yes, that 'pointless' word processing and email. Let's go back to the days of my secretary sitting on my knee, taking shorthand and having to retype an entire page from scratch every time there was one typo or amendment.  

Yes, let's go back to dictating a memo, waiting for it to be typed by the pool, waiting for it to be dispatched by the courier, waiting for a response to be dictated and then typed and sent back. Those wonderful days of a 7-day turn around just to get a simple query yes or no.....

You seem to be looking for problems and almost deliberately wanting to make your life more complicated.

Yes, you are right. Sometimes some technology is more complicated but once something becomes so long established in society, becomes so absolutely routine and widely accepted principle...  such as the topic under discussion of of electronic payments.....  It is just ridiculous for people to be fighting it and almost revelling in their refusal to accept it.  This is the black Knight from Monty Python syndrome.

Like I said in my previous dramatic examples, you are not putting up challenges to the revolution of the motor car or washing machines or domestic electricity. So why would you be putting up such ridiculous objections to electronic payments when they've been an established part of society, in some form, for at least 40 plus years.  

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Except for the fact that I can book my train tickets from the comfort of my own sofa at 3:00 in the morning if I want to,  have it sent straight  to my phone and never have to go near a ticket office or collect my ticket beforehand.

Again, overlooking the fact that you would need to be physically there to hand over a physical cheque to your workman, window cleaner,  milkman or whatever the case may be.  Whereas I could quickly get their bank details press a few buttons on my bank app and ping the money to them without having to see them in the flesh. Which makes it more convenient if I am working out of town or busy doing something else.

Or you could do what I do in my car park and simply take a ticket on entry and pay contactless with your card at the exit barrier without even having to get out your seat.  You could perhaps use an season ticket or book parking in advance, which means the car park will have your reg number and you don't need to do anything on enter or exit.

I do frequently.  Far more convenient and I don't have to stand behind some ditherer yacking away to Doris on the checkout whilst packing one item in their carrier every five minutes.   Or, as someone else mentioned, you can use one of the many scan and pack options so you don't even need to do any loading or unloading during checkout process at all.

As for the camera in my face, I don't find that any more intrusive than my own mirror. I know what I look like.  Given that any business is going to protect its assets by having some form of observation, security or other theft monitoring, what exactly is the issue. Is it any worse than the checkout operator looking you up and down, taking a peak into and under your trolley. It certainly happens. In fact staff are trained to do just that - so what difference does it make?   Sounds to me like you are declaring some of that 'paranoid' behaviour I mention

Yes, that 'pointless' word processing and email. Let's go back to the days of my secretary sitting on my knee, taking shorthand and having to retype an entire page from scratch every time there was one typo or amendment.  

Yes, let's go back to dictating a memo, waiting for it to be typed by the pool, waiting for it to be dispatched by the courier, waiting for a response to be dictated and then typed and sent back. Those wonderful days of a 7-day turn around just to get a simple query yes or no.....

You seem to be looking for problems and almost deliberately wanting to make your life more complicated.

Yes, you are right. Sometimes some technology is more complicated but once something becomes so long established in society, becomes so absolutely routine and widely accepted principle...  such as the topic under discussion of of electronic payments.....  It is just ridiculous for people to fighting it and almost revelling in their challenging against it.  This is the black Knight from Monty Python syndrome.

Like I said in my previous dramatic examples, you are not putting up challenges to the revolution of the motor car or washing machines or domestic electricity. So why would you be putting up such ridiculous objections to electronic payments when they've been an established part of society, in some form, for at least 40 plus years.  

you've just demonstrated my point about word processing and emails, tldr, try a little brevity.

privacy is important, clearly not to you.