South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

A valid question, but a rather naive one, as that is so far from probability to be stupid. Fairly obviously, the service would have to be improved, but not all 5.000 residents would wish to travel at  the same time, and your other assumptions are also way off the mark.

• Like 2

Guest busdriver1
5 minutes ago, rogets said:

Straight up question

Lets pretend 80% of the people in Sheffield decided to get rid of their cars and go by bus, how would that work?

Lets take a route like stannington, with 1 bus an hour for example, and lets say Stannington has a population of 5000 people, how could 5000 people fit onto 1 bus per hour?

18 buses per day x 70 capacity = roughly 1260 people per day can get onto a full bus (assuming 1 bus per hour)

What do the other 4000 people do, how do they get around, does this mean stannington gets 5 buses every hour to meet demand, 7 days a week?

And I haven't factored picking people up at Malin Bridge, Hillsborough etc.... as more people get on the bus

Bus companies do take ticket machine data into account when route planning and any significant rises in patronage would result in an increase in the service provided. Your excersise assumes that all 4000 would wish to travel, there are many who would not. (stay at home parents, elderly, children, disabled etc.) 

9 minutes ago, rogets said:

And I haven't factored picking people up at Malin Bridge, Hillsborough etc.... as more people get on the bus

You also did not factor in people getting off at those points.

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

A valid question, but a rather naive one, as that is so far from probability to be stupid. Fairly obviously, the service would have to be improved, but not all 5.000 residents would wish to travel at  the same time, and your other assumptions are also way off the mark.

But 5000 people would need to travel by bus at some point if all residents got rid of their cars, at current capacity only 1200 people could use the bus with one bus per hour

And the majority of the bus users would be going somewhere such as Hillsborough (for food shopping) or going to work.

Yes while some may get off before Stannington and Malin Bridge, I would imagine the vast majority of bus users from stannington don't get off until at least Hillsborough Corner

Edited by rogets

6 minutes ago, rogets said:

But 5000 people would need to travel by bus at some point if all residents got rid of their cars, at current capacity only 1200 people could use the bus with one bus per hour

And the majority of the bus users would be going somewhere such as Hillsborough (for food shopping) or going to work.

Yes while some may get off before Stannington and Malin Bridge, I would imagine the vast majority of bus users from stannington don't get off until at least Hillsborough Corner

As explained by @busdriver1, that 'current capacity' would be amended.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As explained by @busdriver1, that 'current capacity' would be amended.

Where would the extra buses come from?

Who would drive these extra buses, as I understand it there is a shortage of bus drivers now to drive the current services

And where would these extra buses be kept, lets assume the current fleet of buses is 100 in Sheffield, surely they would need 700 extra buses + plus hundreds of extra  drivers to drive the buses

3 minutes ago, rogets said:

Where would the extra buses come from?

Who would drive these extra buses, as I understand it there is a shortage of bus drivers now to drive the current services

And where would these extra buses be kept, lets assume the current fleet of buses is 100 in Sheffield, surely they would need 700 extra buses + plus hundreds of extra  drivers to drive the buses

As your original post was based on fantasy, this is also irrelevant.