South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Of which were introduced because of the selfishness of the OAPs.

When they were first introduced there were no restrictions to time of use. Complaints followed that workers who were using the buses were being crowded out by OAPs travelling during peak times in the morning for no real need. 

Resident. I’m not sure as to what mean when you say “when they were first introduced”  but back in the 70’s on a weekday the OAP pass couldn’t be used before 09:30 or between 15:30 and 18:00. 

3 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Resident. I’m not sure as to what mean when you say “when they were first introduced”  but back in the 70’s on a weekday the OAP pass couldn’t be used before 09:30 or between 15:30 and 18:00. 

My apologies.  There was massive uproar about a decade ago regarding the restrictions, i had assumed there were none before that

The current restrictions aren't enough IMO. I believe they should be only accepted 0930-2130 Mon-Fri excluding weekends. 

Why 2130? Well the only OAPs that are catching buses after that time are the ones that have been in the pubs/WMC since teatime. If they can afford a few pints, they can afford to pay for the services to take them home. 

Edited by Resident

10 hours ago, Resident said:

My apologies.  There was massive uproar about a decade ago regarding the restrictions, i had assumed there were none before that

The current restrictions aren't enough IMO. I believe they should be only accepted 0930-2130 Mon-Fri excluding weekends. 

Why 2130? Well the only OAPs that are catching buses after that time are the ones that have been in the pubs/WMC since teatime. If they can afford a few pints, they can afford to pay for the services to take them home. 

You’re not too far out with your summation there. You have reminded me of the 22:30 pass cut off point back in the day. This was because a lot of services after this time were swamped with people turning out of the pubs and clubs.

Some services even had duplicate services in front of them on Friday and Saturday nights to help take the load. 
Your last line is spot on, especially with the £2 maximum fare limit.

19 hours ago, RollingJ said:

What strings - apart from the period of validity?

Those strings.

19 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Erm, isnt is £203.25 per week?

EDIT - ah, thats on the new system. Anyway, if people havent made extra provision and fully expected to rely on the State pension, more fool them. Thats an argument for another thread though.

Well it does tie into the bus pass issue. I did google it before I posted and that is the figure posted, but at any rate £203 is an insult.

4 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Those strings.

Well it does tie into the bus pass issue. I did google it before I posted and that is the figure posted, but at any rate £203 is an insult.

Be a nice add on to my lovely private pension tbf, a bit of play money each week when I turn 68.

Edited by HeHasRisen

19 hours ago, Resident said:

Of which were introduced because of the selfishness of the OAPs.

When they were first introduced there were no restrictions to time of use. Complaints followed that workers who were using the buses were being crowded out by OAPs travelling during peak times in the morning for no real need. 

I suppose without the passes though they would be boarding early anyway.

Just now, spilldig said:

I suppose without the passes though they would be boarding early anyway.

Depends doesnt it, if a pension gets up at 8am and get on the bus to go to town just to buy the paper, if he then has to pay he will just get it from the local shop instead.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RollingJ said:

All conveniently forgotten by the moaners.

All gimmicks to make up for the worst old age pension in the civilised world.

13 hours ago, Resident said:

I agree but don't forget AM hospital appointments at stupid o'clock that usually require at least two bus journeys.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Be a nice add on to my lovely private pension tbf, a bit of play money each week when I turn 68.

I agree, and you should get it too if you have paid NI contributions.