South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, catmiss said:

With so many Sheffield and Rotherham routes already deemed too unprofitable to maintain what’s going to happen if Grant Shapps’ proposed £2 maximum fare makes it into statute?

That depends on wether there is any money forthcoming to allow this to happen. If there isnt say goodbye to more services

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

That depends on wether there is any money forthcoming to allow this to happen. If there isnt say goodbye to more services

An interesting question because I am sure the clowns at the Department will have done some expensive but poorly designed research on things like price sensitivity to estimate the costs of a £2 fare but of course vitally important in any modeling is the services themselves, frequency/routes/interchange/reliability / is the £2 for a trip or a single fare to name a few of the variables

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

In other words , a bit of  an empty idea?

Exactly. Fares in South Yorkshire aren't, by any stretch, expensive. 

You tell me another form of transport where you can do a ~17 mile journey for £3.50 and I'll change my mind. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Resident said:

Exactly. Fares in South Yorkshire aren't, by any stretch, expensive. 

You tell me another form of transport where you can do a ~17 mile journey for £3.50 and I'll change my mind. 

Can't, and wouldn't even try, and my quoted post should probably have had on the end 'typical ignorant politician spiel'

19 hours ago, Resident said:

To be anywhere near viable a flat £2 fare would need to apply to EVERYONE. No more OAP/Disabled/Child concessions, no day/week/month/annual savers etc. 

It would be helpful if you had read what the proposed deal is. It is a subsidy for 12 months at a cost to the government of £260. Thus it will make no difference to OAP/Disabled/Child concessions not sure what the implications are though for the multi use tickets. It is not about being viable in the sense of generating more revenue

Might hit tram revenue where options exist for both bus and tram

23 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

It would be helpful if you had read what the proposed deal is. It is a subsidy for 12 months at a cost to the government of £260. Thus it will make no difference to OAP/Disabled/Child concessions not sure what the implications are though for the multi use tickets. It is not about being viable in the sense of generating more revenue

Might hit tram revenue where options exist for both bus and tram

It would also have been helpful if the poster commenting originally had posted a link - just saying.

Just read the article - via a forum that makes more sense than SF - and the obvious question was asked. 'How will the operators be compensated, and will this be before or after they go bust?' The £260m 'cost' was also queried.

Edited by RollingJ
Added text.