South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

29 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

The one in Doncaster appears to be.

That is the point. We used whiteboards. It is a myth that schools still use blackboards.

Have a look at the Doncaster Free Press. It reports that on the 25th May 2018 Scawby's Southgate School enjoyed a school sports day at the Keepmoat stadium, in Doncaster,  where the children enjoyed traditional sports day activities such as, wait for it...egg and spoon races. Check it out and verify it for yourself.....for heaven's sake don't take my word for it. I think that if you do you will then find that it's not a myth.

Edited by Meltman

14 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You have literally been told today about 3 schools in Sheffield that put details of egg and spoon races on their website/social media in the last 2 years, is this not sufficient for you?

Regrettably probably not, I would guess getting Boris to admit he was wrong might be easier 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Looks like she has taken her ball home with her and managed to get her entitr account deleted, including all posts.

I guess in these difficult times it must be hard combining a senior management role with having time to contribute expertise on a number of issues on this forum 

Might be able to get back on topic now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

After 3 years, my money is on them quietly letting it drop as most areas have realised that it is not workable (some after spending many many millions trying to implement it).

It will depend on the political stance at the time. we are still 10 years away from the scheme actually getting implemented if it goes ahead and there are already warning bells over the cost of it (to the point that Barnsley council already want the right to walk away from the scheme if its going to cost their taxpayers)

But yeah, i can see it getting dropped but at least its only £5M and some consultants will get a nice holiday out of it

16 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Damn I should have picked the sack race it might have been a little less controversial

nah, Chelsea win that most years

Anyway, screaming back on to topic now we've managed to clip-clop over the bridge. (I'll be amazed if anyone under 35 gets that reference)

On of the major roadblocks to a successful and useful bus service is funding in terms of operating costs and profit. Many see profit as a dirty word but without surplus to costs then there cannot be investment into newer, better services. 

The problem is that South Yorkshire, as it's own entity, doesn't even cover it's operating costs. There are too many loss-making routes that SYCMA (formerly SYPTE) won't fund either in full or in part. 
There's also the small matter of NPTs (non-paying travellers). These NPTs travel at face, for free with a fraction of the cost of their travel paid for by SYCMA. These include OAP and Disabled passes. 

And there are too many of them, disabled passes are handed out like sweets on Halloween it seems. Alcoholic? Have a bus pass, Smackhead? Have a bus pass, General scrote, Have a bus pass.
I have even been told by a manager that worked for SYPTE that one disabled pass was issued to someone who despite moving to the UK 8 years prior refused to learn basic English to get about so they gave them a pass so there'd be no issues travelling. 

Now we have the Govt forcing operators into a max fare of £2 per journey which we can bet our last pound the subsidy attached to this will be less than current prices. 

But it gives me an idea. 

If people really do want £2 max fares then it needs to come at a cost & I'm gonna let you chose the options:

1. £2 max fare per journey but EVERYBODY pays it. No bus passes, no day/week/month/year savers

2. £2 max fare per journey for 18+, £1 for under 18s. No bus passes, no day/week/month/year savers

3. Ditch max fare limits, keep as we are with passes etc, 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Resident said:

Anyway, screaming back on to topic now we've managed to clip-clop over the bridge. (I'll be amazed if anyone under 35 gets that reference)

On of the major roadblocks to a successful and useful bus service is funding in terms of operating costs and profit. Many see profit as a dirty word but without surplus to costs then there cannot be investment into newer, better services. 

The problem is that South Yorkshire, as it's own entity, doesn't even cover it's operating costs. There are too many loss-making routes that SYCMA (formerly SYPTE) won't fund either in full or in part. 
There's also the small matter of NPTs (non-paying travellers). These NPTs travel at face, for free with a fraction of the cost of their travel paid for by SYCMA. These include OAP and Disabled passes. 

And there are too many of them, disabled passes are handed out like sweets on Halloween it seems. Alcoholic? Have a bus pass, Smackhead? Have a bus pass, General scrote, Have a bus pass.
I have even been told by a manager that worked for SYPTE that one disabled pass was issued to someone who despite moving to the UK 8 years prior refused to learn basic English to get about so they gave them a pass so there'd be no issues travelling. 

Now we have the Govt forcing operators into a max fare of £2 per journey which we can bet our last pound the subsidy attached to this will be less than current prices. 

But it gives me an idea. 

If people really do want £2 max fares then it needs to come at a cost & I'm gonna let you chose the options:

1. £2 max fare per journey but EVERYBODY pays it. No bus passes, no day/week/month/year savers

2. £2 max fare w journey for 18+, £1 for under 18s. No bus passes, no day/week/month/year savers

3. Ditch max fare limits, keep as we are with passes etc,

Although there  are attractive elements to a £2 flat fare but there are problems.

More than doubling working peoples monthly bus fare costs is not a good idea, although it is true that season tickets are less attractive to some because of homeworking.

Free interchangeable transfers are needed for those needing to use two buses or bus/trams. 

Your comments about the Disabled ENCTS are an exaggeration.

'SYPTE' only issue a Disability ENCTS when advised to by SCC. 'SYPTE' managers and staff do not have access to the reasons for the issue of a disabled bus pass. If they do then there is a Data Protection breach

The applicant must in most cases have to establish that they are qualified as  disabled under the Equality Act 2010 through a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' negative effect. Substance abuse by itself is not a qualifying condition.

The application is made to SCC who require a range of evidence of disability, it can take months of 'jumping through hoops' to get one. It is re-applied for every five years and the evidence  has to re-presented.  Applying for some disabilities like ASD is very hard. Appeals are often the norm when applying on behalf those with 'hidden' disabilities.