South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

4 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

A correct interpretation of what I said  would be 'a stipulation that the Supertram operator can provide a bus route effectively extending their system to outlying areas without having to comply with the Laws about cross-subsidy., competition etc.'

Stagecoach, in my opinion, is saying "If you don't give us the upcoming contract to operate Supertram one of the consequences will be that we will compete for Sheffield Oughtibridge/Stocksbridge passenger revenue."

Something which is not getting  attention is the distinct possibility that Bus Pass holders will be charged by the new Supertram operator. 

Only South Yorkshire residents travelling on South Yorkshire issued ENCTS passes would get free travel on Supertram.

That applies on any other Tram service I have used - i.e. my South Yorkshire pass was not valid on Leeds/Leicester/Blackpool trams - and others.

Edited by RollingJ

3 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Leeds and Leicester do not have trams but your point is valid.

OOPs - brain fail - I should have said Manchester and Nottingham - no  idea where Leeds and Leicester came from, except that I have just arranged train journeys to both cities.

Any answer on why Stocksbridge is a special case compared to everywhere else near a tram system in the country? Twice now I have asked it and twice it has been ignored.

Why doesn't Ramsbottom not get a special link bus to the Metrolink at Bury, as just one other example plucked out of thin air?

Edited by HeHasRisen

17 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Right, ok, does an identical stipulation currently exist on any light rail/tram system in the UK? And again, why is Stocksbridge a special case?

What does it matter if there are any other examples? It should not be beyond the capabilities of any competent transport official to set up a contact that requires us and tram operators to provide a joined up service even specifying how long bus and trams should wait for each other with different lengths for Sundays/ late evenings than during the day. I appreciate that this may well be beyond the skills of the clowns we have in South Yorkshire but please please stop the negativity on this and all the reasons(excuses)  why it it can’t be done and instead think how it could be achieved.

often forgotten in everyday management is common sense in this case a properly coordinated bus and tram service is likely to be more popular in generating ridership than a service where not only do the bus and tram often miss each other but at times of planned engineering work you will find your self in the middle of nowhere and have to walk some distance to continue your journey. It ain’t rocket science.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It isn't.

Well yes, that was the answer I was driving at. There is no compelling reason it HAS to have a special bus link to a tram network.

2 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

What does it matter if there are any other examples? It should not be beyond the capabilities of any competent transport official to set up a contact that requires us and tram operators to provide a joined up service even specifying how long bus and trams should wait for each other with different lengths for Sundays/ late evenings than during the day. I appreciate that this may well be beyond the skills of the clowns we have in South Yorkshire but please please stop the negativity on this and all the reasons(excuses)  why it it can’t be done and instead think how it could be achieved.

often forgotten in everyday management is common sense in this case a properly coordinated bus and tram service is likely to be more popular in generating ridership than a service where not only do the bus and tram often miss each other but at times of planned engineering work you will find your self in the middle of nowhere and have to walk some distance to continue your journey. It ain’t rocket science.

I dont disagree but someone on this thread is demanding legislation is changed to ensure this happens ffs.

The area already has a bus link to the tram network and by extension a service to Sheffield. It is the number 57. The fact it is hourly is neither here nor there, to be honest I have no idea if this would be sufficient to meet demand or not.

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes, that was the answer I was driving at. There is no compelling reason it HAS to have a special bus link to a tram network.

I dont disagree but someone on this thread is demanding legislation is changed to ensure this happens ffs.

The area already has a bus link to the tram network and by extension a service to Sheffield. It is the number 57. The fact it is hourly is neither here nor there, to be honest I have no idea if this would be sufficient to meet demand or not.

I very much doubt that it would require legislation